1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Ever 100/100 from 22 yards back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mossy44, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

This is my first post on this forum. I posted the article on a hunting website I often visit, and someone suggested I post it up here. Maybe some of you knew my uncle.

Below, I have posted a newspaper article that was dated June 11th, 1972. It is an article about my uncle, Joe Rubert. He is believed to be the first person to ever shoot 100 out of 100 from 22 yards back.

My uncle passed away a few years ago, and that is when I first saw this article. We were going through some boxes this past weekend and I saw it again, so I figured I would post it up.

Joe was a different breed. Some people loved him and some people hated him. He knew more people than I will probably ever come across in my entire life. At times he was more giving and generous than anyone could imagine and at other times, he would not hesitate to let you know his thoughts, which disturbed many.

Anyway, this article described him well, the character he was, and I thought it was a neat read.

[​IMG]

2. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

I hope the image works this time.

3. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

I often vist a particular hunting site and it was suggested to me to post this article here. This is my first post, so that's why I had some trouble.

Below, I have posted a newspaper article that was dated June 11th, 1972. It is an article about my uncle, Joe Rubert. He is believed to be the first person to ever shoot 100 out of 100 from 22 yards back.

My uncle passed away a few years ago, and that is when I first saw this article. We were going through some boxes this past weekend and I saw it again, so I figured I would post it up.

Joe was a different breed. Some people loved him and some people hated him. He knew more people than I will probably ever come across in my entire life. At times he was more giving and generous than anyone could imagine and at other times, he would not hesitate to let you know his thoughts, which disturbed many.

Anyway, this article described him well and I thought it was a neat read.

[​IMG]

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Great article...

Send this artice to Kenny Ray Estes at the ATA's Hall of Fame. Kenny is the HofF's historian, etc.

Curt

5. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

Curt - I will definitely do that. I will go search on the internet for his email. If you happen to have it, will you let me know?

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mossy44 If we are talking Exclusively from the 22yd line he may well be. A 100x100 had been shot from the 23yd line twice before that at the Grand American once in 1926 and once in 1966.

Bob Lawless

7. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

Bob - It was exclusively from 22 yards back.

carl - can you verify that or have any documentation that I can read? I was curious to know if it was indeed the first.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Mossy:

It most likely was not the first at the 22. Nobody would keep detailed records of it though, since it wouldn't be a yardage that was really noticed much, unless it won at a big shoot. Many 100 straights had been shot from the farthest yardage (27) well prior to this; those are the ones that are more likely to be recorded somewhere.

After a closer reading I agree with the post above - the quote was likely that Remington believed it was the first w/ RXP shells, which seems more likely; the rest was probably a result of the reporter not really understanding what he was talking about.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It may have been the first at that shoot from that yardage? A tad later that same month and year, my brother also broke a 100 from the 22 yard line at the CA state shoot, winning the caps championship. That was the third ever for the CA state shoot at that time.

Hap

10. Beretta Blue

Beretta Blue TS Member

Irregardless...........Post congrats to him. Most trap shooters only dream of a accomplishment like that. 100 straight in any form is something we all aspire to, not like myself 98.....98.......98.....98...Etc. Jack

11. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

Thanks Beretta Blue. That's actually more of the response I was expecting to see, or maybe even a "I knew Joe, sorry to hear he passed." Thanks again. I shoot trap every now and then, but I am nowhere near the shot my uncle was. Maybe one day...

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mossy44

"It was exclusively from 22 yards back."

Just out of curiosity please define "22 yards back" back of what or back to what?

I am not belittling your uncles accomplishment the man shot a truly great score back in the 3 hole era. No one can take away that accomplishment. You do however keep saying 22 yards back there are many yards back of twenty two yards and many other shooters. That word "Back" is to me what is confusing this issue.

Bob Lawless

13. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Perhaps he means, if the man was asked: "from how far back do you shoot your handicap, he might answer, "I shoot from 22 yards back." Meaning, of course, he shoots from the 22 yard line.

14. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Jean Pope from East Moline, IL is listed in the Grand program as winning the Preliminary Handicap in 1930 from 22 yards with 100 X 100.

Seems I remember Remington offering a $500 check to the first person to break a 100X100 in handicap from EACH yard line but only to the first person per yard line and naturally you had to be shooting their shells. That is probably what the Remington regional manager was making reference to.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

The person who shot the first 100X100 from the 27 is a personal friend of mine. How many know his name? Hint: E.T. lives is South Carolina. And- what happened to the fonts on this thread?

Pat Ireland

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Col. E.S.Throckmorton, Pat. 1964 J.W.

17. mossy44

mossy44 TS Member

honestly, I am too young to know for sure. When I was told the story, I was told it was from 22 yards back. I am not a professional trapshooter, so I do not know enough about the sport to give an accurate answer. I saw the article and thought it was neat, so I posted it. I was unsure whether or not he was indeed the first, and I believe you all have answered that. On a side note, I thought it was a great feat and posted it here. Thanks for clarifying things for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.