1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

first entirely 3d printed gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lel4866, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lel4866

lel4866 Member

regulate this...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/03/this-is-the-worlds-first-entirely-3d-printed-gun-photos/

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

3d printing must be a manufacturing process via plastic 'printers'. Is this where you feed the printer the drawing and it makes a mold in plastic right now? The guns looks so weird, it's hard to understand what is happening.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It will be impossible to prevent manufacture of fireams made through this method.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

See it just goes to show that someone somewhere will always have guns somehow. So now what 3D printed ammo?

No matter what they are not going to stop guns. Old saying, cant beat them, join them!

Jerry Lewis

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

The 3D printer is a pretty basic idea. The way they work is you start out with a solid "model" in a certain modeling software. This is basically a virtual representation of the finished part. You then import that model into the printers software and essentially hit "Print". Using a special material, the printer creates the part one very thin layer at a time, building one on top of another until it makes the finished part.

Right now there is no plastic material that is capable of handling the kind of pressures most ammunition exerts. It appears this particular gun is only capable of handling low pressure handgun ammo.

The big thing that the government really isn't going to like, is the ability of anyone with $2000 burning a hole in their pocket procuring one of these printers and making their own lower receivers for AR style firearms, or major parts to any firearm really...

Josh

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There's really no difference between making a gun on a plastic printer and making a gun on a CNC milling machine. In fact, the CNC milling machine will machine plastic, too, if that's your thing.

The cost of a quality printer is in the neighborhood of the cost of some cnc equipment. The $2000 printers do a pretty crappy job. Quality printers cost considerably more.

Federal law allows any law-abiding citizen to make a handgun, rifle or shotgun (Title 1 guns) for their own use. Felons and other persons prohibited from possessing firearms are already covered as far as plastic (or CNC) made guns are concerned.

This is really a whole lot of hoplophobic angst being stirred up over a non-issue.

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Check out the site for a Colt concept paper on plastic cases for rifle ammo.

AR type receivers have already been "printed" and test-fired.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I believe the article severely misrepresents this gun. There are NUMEROUS parts which CANNOT be made with anything other than metal, including the barrel (which it appears you can see in the picture), some means of breech/breechblock, springs (no other way to propel the firing pin unless you're hitting the back of it with a handheld hammer), firing pin (which was mentioned as the ONLY metal part besides a 6oz block of steel put there to make it detectable by metal detectors).

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Brian, I'm normally not one to call someone out on something, but I think you're speaking about a field you have limited knowledge in (I'll try not to sound like a know-it-all). Making a plastic lower receiver on a 3D printer would be WAY easier than manufacturing one on a CNC machining center. The printer simply requires the solid model, you hit print, and a couple of hours later you have a finished lower. Machining one from solid requires semi-advanced machining skills, a minimum of 5 set ups and at least a solid 8 hours if you aren't tooled up to do it already. Not to mention the need for the expensive CAM software required to turn the solid model into code for the CNC machine.

Besides that, 7 or 8 years ago you could say that a $2000 printer was pretty "crappy", but there's been a massive amount of innovation and advancement in the field of 3D printers that's allowed prices of more advanced printers to drop significantly. I work with a guy who recently purchased one of these printers just "for the fun of it" and plans to print his own lower, along with magazines and whatever other parts he can think of. He paid about $2000 for his set up, which is capable of producing the aforementioned parts.

I work in the field of machining, I program, setup and run CNC machining equipment as well as run manual equipment every day. I've machined everything from the ABS plastic mentioned in the article all the way up to hardened tool steels...

Josh

11. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Don't worry folks...Schumer is ALL OVER this one already:

NEW YORK, N.Y. (NBC) - New York Senator Charles Schumer wants to stop the use of 3D printers to manufacture plastic guns. At a news conference Sunday, Schumer displayed a photo of a plastic gun made by a Texas company using a 3D printer. He called for legislation to outlaw the technology for making weapons.
    Schumer said the bill would not restrict 3D printers for other manufacturing uses. He said plastic guns could be easily made by anyone with a printer and an internet connection. "We’re facing a situation where anyone, a felon, a terrorist, can open a gun factory in their garage, and the weapons they make will be undetectable. Its stomach churning,” said Schumer. The non-profit defense distributed company said it plans to post the blueprints online sometime this week.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Once again the dumb ass leftists reflexively posture about how they are going to PASS A LAW that is going to prevent the criminal misuse of a commonly available item. The leftists can never deny their knee jerk desire to play god by posturing as gods. Anyone with a brain the size of a marble can see that this technology is doing exactly what the gun builders plan in doing this was - to use technology to make the stupid laws of the stupid leftists irrelevant. This "print a gun" ability draws us even closer to the day when it is universally recognized that the only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. If the existence of machine shops made it universally impossible to eliminate firearms, these printers make it even more so.

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Isn't there a law preventing printers from generating the correct green of money? A law preventing printers from generating guns is about the same.

Generate the gun in plastic and then place it on a machine that will duplicate the part from plastic to steel and you got a gun generator.

This stuff has been available for a long time but not advertised until recently.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I love this a stick in the eye of Mayer Bloomberg and all the other 2nd amendment nay sayers. If people want to kill they will find a way sadly look a Boston gun bands is not the answer .

15. Avatar

I say let Sen. Schumer and his felons and terrorists have all the plastic guns they want. I'll stick with steel, for the time being, which I suspect will work much better for breaking clays for many years to come...

16. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Go to this site for a video of the gun being fired.

Say what you will, this is pretty cool stuff.

Boombag and sh*tmer are making voting points, they don't know there ass from third base when it comes to firearms.

17. Avatar

It is cool. But, in its present bulky state, the zip gun makes a better fashion statement for our street hoodlums; so I don't think Senators Schumer and Israel need to worry just yet.

18. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I believe Wireguy has it right. The ridiculous, almost comical "knee-jerk" reaction from Schumer, etal just proves the point that all they are willing to offer to this serious conversation is "BAN IT"...BAN EVERYTHING...pass MORE laws.
    Typical for ignorant fascist thugs...no intelligent discussion about why these tragedies happen, or how to REALLY prevent them...just jump on any opportunity to RESTRICT YOUR FREEDOM..."Never Waste A Crisis".
    Pathetic.

19. Avatar

I find it hilarious that we have senators reacting with "horror" and "revulsion." Leaving aside that these 3d-printer-made guns barely work (and only with the aid of a nail, which tells you something), I wonder what these people would think of the early American blacksmiths trying to make and repair guns. Probably wouldn't approve of that, either...

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I wonder if eventually there will be ceramic firing pins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.