1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First doubles gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Matthew Moser, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

I haven't ever shot doubles and I want to. I shot my first 100 straight a few weeks ago and I wanted to now try doubles. I am 13 and I want a cheap o/u to start doubles incase I don't like it. It can not kick much!!
    Let me know!!

2. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Mat,My suggestion would be to go to shoots,look for over/under guns for sale in your price range and ask to try it,even if it's just at singles,it should give you an idea of it's recoil.

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Try a winchester select energy you can usually find one used for around 1000-1300. They are a great gun for the money. Just make sure that you get the one with the adjustable comb so that you can adjust it to fit you. I got mine just for doubles and then ended up using it for everything because It fit me so much better than my thumbhole bt-100 which is now for sale one here.

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i gotta say congratulations on you first 100 straight and at 13 that is very impressive i am almost 19 and just shot my first 50 about a month and a half ago. so keep it up, i also know people who use the winchester select energy for everything its a great gun and well priced so if can afford it go for it, good luck finding a gun make sure it fits well, and keep up the good shooting!

5. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

Matthew:
    Go to dhshotguns.com have a look at their U4T Trap gun new it si only $779.00. It has mild recoil and comes with 5 chokes. It is a well made gun.
    Good Luck and God Bless, Bill Ivins

6. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

Let me congratulate you on the 100 straight at 13. I too, wanted to try a cheaper gun for doubles, last year. Bought a Remington SPR310, think they run under $600 retail. I bought one that was hardly used, with extended Truloc chokes. A bit stiff, yet, but is wearing in, it fits, & I shoot it well. Try one if you see one. Bob

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Matt,

Mighty fine shootin' partner!

If I make a suggestion about a doubles gun, a good used Citori Trap can usually be had for $700.00 give or take a little. If it turns out that you don't care for them, you'll always be able to get your money back.

ec90t

8. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

Thanks everybody! ec90t, I have looked at a citori trap and I liked them. I am thinking about getting one of those.

9. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I have a Remington 3200 for sale. Has adjustable comb and buttplate. Wanting $2175.00 cased. If that is in the price range email me. Matt

10. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Try a Stoeger Condor or even Competion grade. They are inexpensive but will get the job done..Have won a couple of double events with mine.....finally decided to upgrade to an XT.....Not that the Stoeger wasn't OK, it's just that I wanted to buy an XT when I could. You can pick up a new one for $300 to $350. Save a little money to start and use it on practice until you decide doubles are for you.

11. BMC

BMC Member

One thing to keep in mind guys is his age. He's 13. My son is 14 and he can't handle my XT Trap. Too heavy at nine pounds. I'd go with a gas gun on the economics side, or a cheaper SPR O/U which will save dad a few bucks, and it will be light enough for the kid to shoot. I have a friend who consistently runs high 90s in doubles with one. For the most part, whatever he buys now won't fit him later, or will be too big now.

12. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I would have to agree with BMC on this one. I would recommend a Beretta Urika 2 or even a Tenkys trap. They are dominating the sporting clays market for a reason, they are a fantastic gun that just keeps on firing. For what you are going to pay for a budget O/U you can get a high end semi that will last you alot longer than a $1,000 O/U. Keep up the good shooting!!!!

13. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

BMC, I am big for my age. I am 5 feet 7 inches. I can handle an adult gun. As a matter of fact, I shoot an adult sized gun. A bt-99. My dad does not want me to get a semi-auto. He wants to get me a DT-10 Combo or O/U. Since I don't have a doubles gun for the NTR at the grand, I am going to borrow a 391 urika trap w/adj comb and shoot it just so my score counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.