1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First competition gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by motordoctor, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I would go with a regular 682, or 1100 trap, beretta 391 trap, browning o/u like citori maybe combo. your better off with a little better gun that retains it resale value that one of the lesser brands. I like a trap gun for sporting or skeet. You can always adapt an adjustable comb trap lower but it is difficult to make a lower stock with more drop fit your shoulder properly. Only my opinion and I'm sure that you'll get more. Motordoc

2. al3526

al3526 TS Member

Bought an skb combo 34 inch unsingle and 30 o/u. not a great shooter but have lots of fun and shoot skeet and all diciplines of trap with it. have yet to try sporting clays. give it some consideration as mine cost me 2500 new. thanks al

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Chad, Do try shooting as many guns as you can lay your hands on. Try some Brownings and some Beretts's. Almost all shooters will like one or the other. The stock is a bit different between the two, so you should like one over the other. Then pick a Over and Under you like the best. If you buy one used you can't go wrong. You will always be able to get your money back if you want to upgrade down the road. Most shooters at your club will be only to happy to let you shoot their gun for a round or two to see if you like it. They will tell you why they like this gun for them. Do try to get one that already has a adj. comb and a adj. butt plate. With both of these items on your gun you should be able to get it to fit you just right. Thats probably the most important thing. So try to find a gun that fits as close as possible to you when you try someone's gun. You can always add the adjustable comb or butt plate later if need be. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Pull&Mark gives good advice. Try before you buy and buy used if possible. Guns depreciate the same way cars do. Ed

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Chad:

Check your private messages.

sissy

6. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Excerpted from the above wensite

Buy a gas operated autoloader in 12 or 20 gauge

A. Relatively inexpensive. For about $500.00 you can get started in the game without spending all the children's college tuition. Chances are it will last about 10,000-15,000 rounds before you'll need to replace parts, but that can be cheap. Buying cases of 12 or 20 gauge ammo when the discount store is having specials will cost just a little more than reloading, so reloading may not be cost effective. By not reloading, you won't need to chase the empties around the field. The price of gas operated autoloaders has increased
    to the $1000 level. Inflation, shooters.

B. Reduces felt recoil--less Kick, less fatigue, more broken birds.

7. pdq

pdq Member

A friend just showed me an interesting Benelli he'd bought. The gun comes with stock shims so that you can adjust the amount of drop, plus for $95 you can get a replacement comb that is designed to give you a trap profile. Pretty clever design for people looking for 1 gun to use in different styles of shooting.

Pete

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

What ever you buy.. but especially a Beretta auto.. get a trigger job before you go out to shoot.. I had a brand new 391.. that I could not hit the broad side of a barn.. 1 trigger job later.. I was back on my game..

9. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

PDQ brings up another bonus with autoloader, shims for cast on, off, up and down. Benellis and 391's ome with them. Buy a T&S shellcatcher so you don't pelt your squadmate with hulls if you shoot trap with it.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I do not believe T&S make a shell catcher for the Benelli. Ed

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Chad, Most Trap guns come with a monte Carlo type stock. Its design is suppose to give the shooter a more heads up shooting profile. I like Brownings myself over the Beretta's and I find little difference in the trap model over the skeet or sporting clay models. There are slight differences in the stock. If you projet a line from the top of the rib (on barrel) down to the end of the stock you get measurements from the Comb and the Heel. A browning sporting 525 has a Comb (front part)of l-9/16's and a heel (back part) of 2-3/16's's. The XT Trap model has a comb of 1-9/16's and a heel of 2 inches even. A XS skeet has a comb of l-3/4 and a heel of l-3/4 inches. This last one is parallel on the skeet model. So not to much differences in the stocks. It will vary abit depending how your built. How long a neck, and size of face, how wide you are at your shoulders and so forth, that makes one fit better than another. Every Browning I have shot shoots about 60/40. Now you can get one to shoot higher if you just raise your head (with adj. comb.). A Few of the older and newer models have a adj. Rib that you can adj your POI with if need be. I don't know how high of a POI you like to shoot. I do fine with a flat shooting gun as I also shoot skeet and sporting clays. So I like to keep the POI the same flat shooting for all 3 games. YOU have to find out how you like it for you. If you want to shoot just trap or others. In Trap you are always shooting at a riseing target so to see target break without covering the target with the barrel on a straitaway target they like a gun to shoot 10 inches to 24 inches high. This works great at trap but will play head games with you at skeet or sporting clays, long and short shots,falling targets. To name a few. Only reason to get a auto gun (Jam-a-matic) is if you are recoil sensitive, otherwise get a Over/ Under. Good Luck and Break-em all.Jeff

12. bill2

bill2 Member

Pete, be aware that Benelli Super Black Eagle does not function well dependable with 1 oz loads. I love mine for hunting and all other shooting. Could not find a shell catcher and other shooters made fun of a rubber band to catch the ejected empties on a gun of that price. Bill2

13. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Buy the gun that fits you best. Lean toward shooting the type of gun toward the discipline that you will be shooting the most. If shooting all 3 equally, I'd lean toward a sporting gun. Some of the guys I shoot with prefer the trap guns for shooting sporting. I can shoot either but gun fit becomes an issue. I started with Beretta autos, then went to a Browning 525, then to a Cynergy, then back to a Beretta 303. Of all of them, I liked the Cynergy the best but had fits with the trigger. I had a problem with trapping the trigger or something and often had problems with the 2nd barrell either not firing or the trigger getting extremely hard to pull for the 2nd. If I could have found a good smith to take care of that problem, I'd still be shooting it. I've had too many problems with my autos and will be going back to an O/U. I just have to decide which.

14. Mirage Combo

Mirage Combo TS Member

I have a Benelli sport 2 love it. Had to lighten trigger pull.
    I believe they offer a lighter spring for lighter loads.
    Birchwood Casey makes a shell catcher that mounts with double face
    tape that work.

Trigger work made it like a different gun.Replaced gel pad with a
    replacement from Brownells,who also have the shell cacher.

Hope this helps.

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

You said you "will be shooting trap, skeet and also some sporting clays."
    This means you, as a shooter new to the shotgun sports, would probably be better off with a Sporting model, rather than a pure trap model.
    The Sporting model will be much more versatile, and be easier to sell if the need should arise.
    A trap gun is a very specialized piece of equipment, while a Sporting gun can be used quite effectively for any type of shooting, including hunting.
    Get the best you can afford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.