1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Attempt at Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Tried "real" trap for the first time today. I say "real" because prior to this I had only been shooting wobble trap or at someones farm where the trap was beside me. This was the first attempt from the 16 yard line and it was humbling.

I shot two rounds and was consistent. I broke only six birds in each round. Obviously, there is room for improvement! I used 7.5 shot and modified chokes in the gun. My question is whether that is the best combination for someone starting out like myself?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Probably not. Most shooters start with a full, or at least Improved/Modified choke. Bulge.

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

For just starting out, modified is fine and 7.5 or 8's is fine. You can try other chokes too especially if you have screw in etc. You are missing not because of your chokes or shot size, but from your technique etc. More than likely you are shooting under your bird if you are using a field gun.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Buy target load. Be bold and ask for help from the better shooters at your club. Some will be very helpful. Others may not. Not everybody can teach you the way. Seek out the better shooters and students of the game.

5. 3220

3220 Member

Thanks sincerely for the input. Looking forward to getting back out there and improving by using your suggestions and advice!

Fred

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Bb is correct most do utilize a little tighter choke, however for your 1st try & maybe for a "while" I would shoot what you have and ask ???????s lots of them, shoot all the practice you can, try to find a good shooter at your club to help & give you some pointers, & learn the game, ie where to look--what YOU need to see in order to break tgts--hold points etc. & stay away from those heavy shoulder bruiser shells, 1oz @ 1145 fps is fine for 16yds.

I have a friend that lost his right eye (he is right handed) he thought he would have to quit shooting, he put some sort of gizmo on his gun so he could shoot RH with his left eye was doing fairly well @ 16s (when 1 day at a registered shoot of all places) he decided he had too much choke so he just took the choke tube out (definitely NOT recommended) and proceeded to run 100 straight we couldn't believe it. Not the best smoke ball breaks but.------100 IS 100, it is possible, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Ross Puls

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Neither the shot size nor the choke was the problem Fred. It's really hard to tell without actually watching you shoot but rest assured you could break 'em all from 16 with a modified choke and 7 1/2 shot.

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Just remember that there is no such thing as a straight away in trap. You have to lead them all in one direction or another. Bill

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Slayer. talk about confusion...

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3220. As you can see there are a lot of folks with opinions ...... talk to the most experienced shooters to gather your information.

"No straigt-a-way targets in trap". Balderdash.

11. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

keep readin' You're Hooked!!! LOL

Chuck

12. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

What you're doing is fine. I have won shoot offs from beyond the 27 with a mod choked barrel. Take all advice with a grain of salt. Here's a few tips I'd add: Just have fun, be consistent in your mount, hold straight out, watch for the target to come out of the house under the gun, keep your head on the stock, and follow through. You might want to pattern your gun so you know how well it's shooting, and where your point of impact is. Ask someone for help at the club.

13. 3220

3220 Member

Thanks for your support and recommendations! You all make it seem like a community I will really enjoy being a part of!

All the best,

Fred

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As with most things if you want to get better at it, practice, practice, practice. Watch some of the shooters that seem to be breaking lots of birds and strike up a converstaion most shooters will help some one new to the game. As for chocke and shot size no problem with what your using.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You will probably find the more you practice the luckier you will get and brake better scores ... Go to the pattern board and make sure you know where the gun is shooting, then practice, practice, practice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Try going to youtube.com and looking at some videos. Search there using trap shooting instruction as a search item. Mark

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Right now isn't a good time to be choosy about your ammo but in general, you want a lite target load. Look for 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 or 1 Oz loads with either #7 1/2 or # 8 shot. The modified choke is okay for now but you want a tighter choke as you progress.

If there is a trick it would be in keeping the gun in motion all the way through the shot and point the gun rather than aim it. Think of when you would squirt one of your friends with a water hose - as they took off running you would lead them and the stream of water looked like an arch. Same thing with the shotgun.

18. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

The thing that's hardest to wrap your head around is that you don't "aim" at your target with a shotgun. You have to properly mount it, keep your face mounted to the stock, and "Point" it in the neighborhood of the target, employing the appropriate timing, lead, swing, and follow-through.

If you're a typical new shooter, you're closing one eye, focusing on the front sight, and taking time to aim at the target, and as you press the trigger, looking up to see if you broke it.

First, the aiming thing takes time. And by the time you press the trigger, the target is probably quite far away, and more difficult to hit. And if it's an angled target, the farther away it gets from you, the more lead is required. Second, shooting one-eyed, while easier for the beginner, presents a handicap by limiting your vision and ability to see the target early. Third, never lift your head off the stock, and "stay in the gun" after the shot is fired. The broken target will take care of itself. And if you're unclear whether it was a hit or miss, someone nearby can tell you.

As has been said on this thread, a modified choke and 7 1/2 shot is fine. Run what you brung, as they say. Trap clubs are (or should be) friendly places (and if they're not, leave, and find one that is). And experienced shooters are normally happy to share their knowledge. Spend a few rounds ALONE on the trap field with the best shooting teacher at the club. He/she will teach you the fundamentals and bring to your attention in real time your mistakes.

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, you will find that there are MANY trap theorists out there. I can't tell you the amount of B.S. about shooting I've heard by "club experts." Employ the techniques that you hear from enough GOOD shooters to recognize that they're fundamental to good shooting. Employ the more fine techniques that help YOU break targets. The rest? Ignore it. Once you're familiar enough with shotgunning that it's 2nd nature, you'll find your scores LEAP into the high teens. Before you know it, you'll break your first 25!!!

At some stage, when you're getting into the 20's and feel like you're not improving, it would be very worthwhile to PAY for some training from a professional. But bear in mind that at that stage, you'll probably want to have invested in a dedicated trap gun, and have had it fit to you to make the most of your training.
    jh

jh

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

For generic advice to the newbie',

You gotta get out in front of the target, how much? ....don't over-think the lead, your subconcious is a lot better at this than your concious mind. Keep your head on the stock and your eye on the rock.

20. Beni

Beni Member

My advice to you is run,get away from this game of chaseing a little clay bird and trying to kill it, your not an addict yet so there is still hope. Otherwise welcome to the game my friend,start out with some solid basics keep it simple and have fun. Remember dont be to hard on yourself and try to practice something everytime you go out. If you can afford a quality clinic do it.,,,,,,,, beni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.