1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First ATA shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plotthound, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plotthound

plotthound TS Member

I just received my membership information for ATA. I plan on participating in my 1st registered shoot this Tuesday. Can anyone share with me the specifics on how it works?

Thanks,

D

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

First you pay your ATA and state dues. Then decide what event(s) you want to shoot and enter them at which time you will be put in a class for singles and doubles. Could be penalty if it is a big shoot and it says in the program and handicapped at 20 yards if you are an adult male shooter. You will probably not want to play any options but if you do tell them and they will charge you for that. Then you will be squadded with other shooters and given your squadding ticket. squad and post whatever it may be. Go to the trap that you will be starting on and don't be late. Sign in and shoot.

The above assumes that you have already learned the basics and know how to go from post to post and at least rudimentary shooting etiquette. You may also want to tell the person at the desk that this is your very first shoot ever and they may put you with a buddy to get you started off right.

Welcome to ATA shooting, have a great time and don't worry about your score, just go out there and shoot. Record your score on your card or reciept afterwards as that is what they will be looking at in the future to classify you.

John

3. atashooter

atashooter Member

Well, the first thing out the gate is you go to a shoot.

Second is after about a year you decide that maybe a different shotgun would hit better, so you trade yours off.

Third, after 2 years, you realize you did better with the one you traded off, so you go into hock for another.

The time in between, you do a hostle takeover of one of you wife's rooms and it becomes the official reloading room... Did I say reloader, OH YEA, off to the bank for another pile of money for a better reloader.

Sooner or later, you eat, sleep, and breathe Trap. By now the kids forgot what you look like, and the wife talks about Raul the towel boy at the gym...

Then the inevitable, you are caught crushing up clay birds and main-lining.

Welcome to the dark side. LOL

4. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Don’t take post #1 in the 16 yard. (You will end up as squad leader/captain.
    You don’t need that extra pressure
    Also take a handful of extra shells with you. That way if you have a dud or shoot at a broken target you will not run out.
    Be prepared and ready, don’t be running around looking for your glasses or muffs as the rest of the squad is waiting for you.
    Know what trap you are shooting off of.
    Ask any and all questions. These guys will be very helpful.
    I have only been shooting ATA for 10 months now. These are a few tips that I picked up along the way.
    These are all good people you will be meeting, so don’t be afraid to let everyone know it is your first shoot.
    Get to the shoot early and shoot a practice round

Good luck and "Break em all"

Calgary Guy

5. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Don’t take post #1 in the 16 yard.

Also the Handicap and doubles.
    in doubles try for the #4 or #5.. That way you will know EXACTLY where that first bird will be.

Calgary Guy

6. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I'm assuming since you asked for specifics, you have little to no experience with an organized ATA event....so here goes with my best effort at a step by step....I hope it's not too confusing.

#1.....If you just received your membership information from ATA...then my first suggestion would be to read the rulebook. It won't take that long and will give you a basic understanding of the rules we work with. Don't worry if there is some unfamiliar territory in there, just read it anyway. Especially read the section on classification and handicapping of shooters, so you will understand some of the the following.

#2.....ATA registered shooting consists of typically 3 differing venues. Singles shooting (commonly called 16 yards), Doubles shooting (2 targets at once from the 16 yard line) and Handicap shooting where shooters stand at differing distances (19-27 yards) from the traphouse based on their past performances and event wins.

#3.....Locate an ATA registered shoot you would like to attend. Arrive early and make it known this is your first ATA event. At many ATA shoots the first person you will need to see is the classification person. They will look at your new plastic membership card and blank paper average card and do their best to place you in a suitable class for singles and doubles competition. Depending on what they may or may not know about your shooting ability, they may elect to place you in a class higher than you think you should belong. That is just the way it is until such time as you have an established track record of a number of events on your average scorecard. Don't get discouraged, we all have to go through it for the first year of competition. The larger and more prestigious the event with money and trophies available, the more cautious the classifier will be with your classification. This can vary greatly from one club to another, you may visit one week when everyone is shooting just simply for scores and receive a lower classification. The very next week at the same club they could be holding their 31st annual Big Shot Derby with solid gold trophies (well maybe)and $10,000 of added money for 1st place in each class. You can bet that if they don't know much about your ability (unproven), you will be placed in a higher class for this tournament. Handicap classification process is somewhat similar except you will typically start at the 20 yard line (adult males)unless you are attending one of the "Big Shot Derby" types of events where it is likely they will assign you to a longer (more than 20 yards) Handicap yardage until you have established some number of targets on record.

#4......I would encourage you to start with the Singles events as your first event at ATA shooting unless you are an already accomplished trapshooter. It is a good event to participate in and helps to develop a smooth swing. Next is the squad selection, perhaps you know some other shooters at this club and can shoot on a squad with them. If not, don't worry as there will be available positions (or posts) for you to participate. Just ask the person in charge of squadding to find an opening for you on a partially filled squad.

#5......Now the cashier will want you to pay for your targets and daily fees. (ATA and state) You can pay for your targets and fees only and I suggest you don't play any of the money "options" at first unless you are quite confident of your ability. They are really a side bet against the other experienced competitors. If you really feel like you want to play one of the money "options" anyway, then typically a "Lewis Class Option" would be your best bet as it is designed to spread some winnings amongst a larger number of shooters.

#6.....After squad selection you need your gun and plenty of shells and be at your starting trap in a timely manner ready to shoot. Watch a couple of squads shoot prior to your squad and observe the squad procedure as best as you can. Let your squad mates know that it is your first ATA shoot and ask that they help you along with any etiquette issues and conduct during the event. I'm sure you will receive much encouragement.

#7.....Have fun and welcome! Hope this was some help.

Bob

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dont forget you water or deluted gatorade. stay hydrated, if you have alergies take what ever meds you need, Visine for alergies works well for me. Eat breath relax and shoot. Just make sure you have your basics ears eyes shells, extra I carry about 5 to 8 extra shots. nad carry extra plugs and glasses in a resonable easy to carry bag. Sun block big time for sunny days in the open. I carry a bottle of water on me at all times at shoots. has saved me on the line a few times. nothing worse than thinking about how thirst you are when going for those last few birds. Just dont drink alot just prior to the shoot you may need to go. That is a tough one to deal with also on the line. Have fun, Its like camping you will always forget something and only need 10 percent of what you bring. Just have fun and shoot.

8. plotthound

plotthound TS Member

Thanks for all of the help so far. I was concerned about the logisitcs and all. I have shoot in couple of seasonal leagues. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific protocol.

PS..I like #1 station, first squad...gets the jitters out after I dust it.

Thanks

9. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Ahhh..
    You have shot a bit before.
    I also like station 1. I dont like shooting 5 and 1 back to back, but it something I am working on
    When I started, I had never even shot in a fun shoot before and had only shoot practice for 2 months or so.
    Good luck

Calgary guy

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would take a bottle of your favorite libation and ask your squad have a toast with you for good targets before you all step up on your posts.

Also I would bring some type of ointment to use after the ATA goat initiation ritual for all first time shooters at registration desk.

11. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

always,alwalys, once you you have registered, going to the line keep the muzzle pointed down range. This is wheather the gun is open or closed. Shoot safe number 1 rule. Shoot well, have fun and be safe. Your fellow shooters depend on it. MnJim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1st time advise for an ata shoot