1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First 50 , and on the Equinox too!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Have to celebrate a little, shot my first 50 ever. Went for 75 but had run out of my shells and used something different. I also changed into tinted glasses even even though I thought about it not being a good idea. Changed back to regular specs after my 2nd miss (and flinch).

Went all summer using roof hold without a 25 and then did it 2x in a row

So what did I do differently that worked so well?

High hold (with a level gun), held to favor the potential angle bird.

Fast aggressive swing to target (pointing while pulling the trigger)

No thinking about anything, shooting fast and not slowing down.

I was breaking them much sooner than with the old house roof hold.

Very short strokes, like painting them out of the sky.

How did I come to this idea? Watching better shooters hit them fast. I inquired about that with them and after they said nothing slow about your shooting. Well that was after the change. I used to really focus on the bird too much and it slowed my shot process down. Same with Sporting Battues. By the time you decide to shoot, it's too late. Try to shoot them sooner and unless you're 16 yearsr old , you'll hit them when they need to be hit.

Oh, and with 7/8 oz and 12 ga full choke.

Next week, bringing 4 boxes for that 75 and 100

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I shoot about avg speed and see many guys at the range shooting really fast, but I pretty much assumed that speed comes with experience. Whenever I try to forcefully shoot faster, it's a mess.
  3. bambino79

bambino79 TS Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I agree with vpr80 fast shooting comes with experience however not everyone can shoot fast and break targets. The more you shoot the more comfortable you become bringing confidence which is the most important thing in trapshooting in my opinion. Just keep plugging away getting that confidence up bringing your 75 and 100 in no time.
    good luck,
    Adam B
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.