1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

first 25 and first registered shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ryanhammer, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

Well, After about nine months after starting trap shooting, I finally got my first 25 straight about 2 weeks ago. I normally shoot a lot of 10 bird rounds, that's just what most people at my club like. Lately I've been getting more serious, and have been shooting a lot of regular 25's at 16 yards. Yesterday, I finally got around to start shooting registered birds, and to say the least, I was terribly nervous. I don't know why, likely because of the new surroundings, and new faces. Well, everything went much better than anticipated, as I ended up shooting a 95 on 16 yards, and a 97, on 20 yd. handicap. I was very pleased. My question to ya'll is, what class can I expect to shoot in next time, and at what yardage.

Also, I would like to thank all of the knowledgable and helpful folks on here who post good replies to newbs like myself. I would also suggest to newer shooters, like myself, to get out to different clubs and take a chance. I realized yesterday that my club doesn't really have a great background, and I likely shot better because of the other club's layout. It made a huge difference in my shooting, and really renewed my level of excitement for the sport. Happy shooting all.

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

For your first shoot, those are very good scores.

The way ATA is supposed to work is after you complete 5 events, your scores will be evaluated by the person registering you for your 6th shoot. If you started in the B class and shoot an average of 95over those 5 shoots, they will move you up to A class.

You should have gotten a yard punch for your score of 97 on handicap, so you'll be shooting from the 21 at the next shoot.

Kevin

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

ryanhammer,,

A very nice start! The 97 hcp should have put you in contention for a win.. the score would hold up at most shoots.

Enjoy.

Guy Babin

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Great shooting, keep it up.

Kevin- I could not find any reference to your quoted way the ATA classification is supposed to work. Can you help me?

Pat Ireland

5. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

I shot my first registered shoot in May. Was classified B; shot an 80. Next shoot was classified D based on my average of one shoot. Shot a 95. No one called me a sandbagger, either.

Ed Wenrich

6. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Sorry was distracted. Meant to add to previous post that my rule book states nothing about a number of shoots or targets to determine class for a new shooter. It DOES state that handicap will be reviewed after 1000 targets.

Ed

7. Bucko43

Wow Pat Ireland! I'm surprised at your question. I've followed your knowledge of shooting for quite a while now and am honored to provide the answer.

ATA 2010 rulebook, section 5 "Singles and doubles events", paragraph C. "Classification" sub para. 5 "For better classification of shooters it is suggested that the following method be used.

a. If the shooter has less than 500 targets on current year’s Average Card, use the previous year average and known ability.

b. If the shooter has between 500 and 1,000 targets (inclusive) on his/her current year’s Average Card, use the current average and
    known ability or the previous year’s average and known ability,
    whichever is higher."

Assuming that a normal ATA shoot has a 100 bird singles event, that would mean 5 shoots would equal 500 birds. My original statement stands. If he shoots an average of 95 after 5 shoots, they could bump him to A class.

Kevin

8. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Kevin,

Your quote is correct word for word, but I see nothing there that states that a new shooter is to remain in B until he has completed 5 shoots. There is nothing there about a shooter with no previous year's average or "known ability". Ryan can expect to be classified as an A shooter in his second shoot

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kevin- I stand corrected. Thank you.

Pat Ireland

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm with Ed as well. A class next shoot. Now after second shoot you can ave. both scores and come up with his next ave. and class. After his 3 new ave. / then 4 new ave. / he might go up and down like a yo-yo. After his 5 shoot he has a permanent class until the ATA changes it up or down. Thats what happened to me anyway. Do not shoot in a big shoot until you have 500 targets or you will get hit hard, and stay in A class more than likely. Also you got a yard for the 97 even if you did not win the handicap shoot. Next shoot at 21 yard line. Oh Yeh, by the way that was some great shooten for your first shoot. Break-em all. Jeff

11. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

Thanks for the input folks. You can't imagine how shocked I am right now. I mean, I knew I was getting better, but dang, I cannot believe that I could/would be classified as an A shooter. This feels great. I hope the trend continues. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, and all of the help.

12. Bucko43

I know allot of the shooting ranges interpret the rules differently about classifying the shooters to keep sandbaggers from coming in and cleaning up. But if I were the person sitting at the registration table and evaluating a NEW shooter, I would wait until the shooter had a little history behind him to prove his first shoot wasn't just a fluke before moving him up to class A.

But I suppose some people consider this a judgement call. But as I stated before "the way it is supposed to work" is how it is described in the ATA rulebook.

Kevin

13. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Kevin,

I agree that it would be better (fairer) to do it your way. But don't see that even implied as the rules are written. The lack of any mention of first-time shooters seems to be an ommision. Perhaps the powers-that-be consider it a non-issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.