1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firrocia Primer Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maka, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maka

maka Member

Has anyone encountered problems with Fiocchi primers causing firing pin problems in Browning, Krieghof, P-guns., ect. Or cold weather bloppers.

2. JRW

JRW Member

I have loaded countless number of Fiocchi primers. I have shot them in my K-guns my brownings, Remingtons, Never a problem. I have had chedite primers punch through. This may be what you are thinking of. Jerry

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The bottom barrel of my XT punched more than a few primers in factory Fiocchi papers. If I catch it soon enough I can change the firing pin; if not, the worse it gets, the worse it gets. The pins look like they're being chipped but they're actually being burned by the primer gases escaping through the punched hole. The more ragged the pins get the more primers they punch.

I don't buy Fiocchis any more.

MK

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

+ i have shot lots of them i have found that they chip the pins not causing a problem but i change the pins in my browning once a year

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Only real trouble I've had is cold weather ignition with certain loads. More so than any other primer I've tried. I can't say about firing pin issues, but I've NEVER had one perforate. I use them in the Summer and use other combinations for my cold weather shooting.

I test my loads by placing a hlf box in the freezer and the rest at room temp. I run bothe sets over a chronograph and see how they compare. The Fiocchis have been dismal performers in many loads at lower temperatures.

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

All other things being equal, they get a little bloopy in my 7/8th oz. loads when the thermometer dips below 20 degrees.

I have no such issues with the 1 oz. loading using the same powder and similar wads from the same manufacturer.

I have not had any piercing issues or chipped pins in my Berettas.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When using Fiochi Primers or any other primers that your firing pin punches a hole through, There is 8,000-10,500 psi blowing into the firing pin hole and into the reciever of your gun, pretty soon the firing pin is burnt, the firing pin hole is carboned up, and firing pin either won't retract or woon't move forward enough and result in misfires. I bought 5,000 of them and traded 4,700 of them for RIO's and never a problem, just have to keep using the RIO's in the cases I loaded them with. Will continue to use RIO's until Winchesters price comes down.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I shot more than 100,000 of them when I lived in Mass. and never had a problem even in temps down to 0. I shot them in Remington, Beretta, and Perazzi and never punctured a primer. I prefer them over Rio's but they are not available here in FL. I would gladly trade the Rio's I have for Fiocchi's. Different strokes for different folks. JRM

9. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I've shot around 20 thousand thru two diffrent P guns and a Browning, winter, spring, summer and Fall. Yet to have a problem of any kind. Doesn't get supper cold here but well below freezing into the teens. Post-2

10. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

No problems with these primers even with creatored pins.

I have creatored fireing pins from old Rio shells and kept using these pins till I finish these Rio shells, then will change pins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.