1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firing Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr MardiGras, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr MardiGras

Mr MardiGras Member

The past couple of weeks I have been having 4-5 misfires per hundred, At first I thought it was the primers since I changed brands due to cost, but then I noticed that on the misfires the strike on the primer was very shallow compared to the ones that fired. When I attempted a second shot with these shells they fired. I checked the firing pin and it looks fine. Any ideas on what might cause this. Thanks in advance....Jim C

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had the same problem with some new pmc shells. It was in the thirties and I had 7 or 8 out of ten and they would fire on the second try. I finally changed shells so I could shoot a few dove. I tried the same shells after it had warmed up, around 75 degrees and they shot every time. The hits on the primer were very shallow with the no fire but on second try it was deep as usual. In my case it had to have something to do with the cold weather. Jackie B.

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Sounds like a weak hammer spring.

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Not enough information, Jim. What brand of primers are you now using? Some have steel caps and are sometimes difficult for a striker vs hammer/firing pin gun to ignite. Additionally, a different primer may seat deeper than your previous brand. If none of these seem to be the problem I suggest you install a new firing pin/striker spring. Good luck.

Buz

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

another guess but probably better than others - the new primers are not seated deep enough and are being driven into a "seated" position on the first hit - (your replacement primers are also harder than your original brand of primers). But after that first strike, they are now down, cannot move away from the the firing pin and "bang" - the gun goes off. If you never saw this problem before you changed primers I think you have answered your question.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Sounds like you tried to put Cheddite Primers in Win., Fed., or Rem. hulls,"yes".

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What type of gun, and which barrel?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Could be the primers or the gun. You stated that the firring pin looked OK. Did you pull the firing pin out of the gun and look at it closely? Also, make sure the cavity that houses the firing pin is not full of debris. How about the hammer spring?

Try a couple of hundred brand name primers. If you are reloading Winchester hulls, try Winchester primers. Make sure your reloader is not seating the primers too deep. Just a little trash in the primer seating station can cause a primer to be seated too deep and cause a weak firing pin hit.

Pat Ireland

9. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I had the same problem with my Ljutic.
    Took it to Mr. Larkin when he was at Red Mount.
    He did a little "Dressing" of the firing pin, A new/heavy hammer spring....600 rounds latter, No miss-fires yet.
    Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.