1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firing pin wear

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Paladin, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Rio primers and my Kolar do not get along at all. I had an honest 10% pierce rate, which didn't take long to chew up both firing pins. No more Rio's for me. Thankfully the pins are easily replaced.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I get Rio primers for $116 a case. Remmys are approaching $150 a case, and Winnies and Federals are right with them. If I have to replace a firing pin every 50K rounds, I am saving $340 by using the Rio primers.

I am just a dumb old country boy, but the financial advantage seems to be with the Rio primer. Cheddites are in the same price range.

Browning pins are under $15, and Perazzi pins are around $35 or so. A little hickey on the firing pin nose will not cause misfires. Keep the pin and pin channel clean and carbon free and the gun will work every time.

I think I will stay with the imports. If I were to use domestic primers, I would go the Federal 209A route.

BTW, I am going to replace the firing pins at around the same interval, regardless of the brand of primer I use.

For those of you who shoot the Browning, Perazzi, and Kolar, among others, learn how to remove, clean, and replace your firing pins! LOL

For those who love the Krieghoff, The action and firing pin/channels can be cleaned with use of brake cleaner, and compressed air. Watch the "C clips, and get a few extra from Krieghoff Intl'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.