1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firewood near Naperville IL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Hey guys,

With winter coming on and the heating bill sure to rise, I plan to use the fireplace in my apartment. Anyone know where abouts I can get enough firewood to say fill the back of a toyota matrix? I looked at the gas stations but if I buy it there it would be cheaper to just run the furnace.

Thanks,
    Forrest

2. LarrySC

LarrySC TS Member

Forrest,

Look for the forest--not the trees. For purchasing firewood, look in the Naperville Sun advertising section (i.e., want ads/merchandise for sale) under "firewood for sale." There usually are several ads for firewood that you can pick up or have delivered and stacked. Make sure you compare prices on like quantities and like wood because some suppliers 1) measure by a face cord while others measure by a full cord and 2) the price of wood is dependent upon the wood type and the amount of drying of the split wood.

For free wood, contact the local forest districts to see if you can get a permit to pick up fallen trees. Of course, you will need a chain saw and probably a log splitter in addition to abiding by the rules of the forest district.

Larry

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The truth is, that unless you have an insert, using a fireplace for heat is a loosing proposition. I used wood exclusively for maybe 6 or 7 years when I lived in MT. On a really cold day, I would burn 10 feet of a 12" dia. log a day. That was in a sealed wood stove with a carefully regulated draft. My present fireplace could double that and put out a fraction of the heat.

The best source for cheap wood is to get a permit to clear fallen timber. Second best is to burn construction site wood scraps (no ply or OSB. Either way, get ready to burn a heap O' wood.

4. guncase

guncase TS Member

I used to sell semi-loads of firewood to a Bob Smith, lived near Marengo, Il. He then sold it delivered into Chicago area. Try to get his Phone #. I don't have it. He lived just off the I-90, east of the Truck stops . Exit hwy 20 off . most help I can be....... Paul

5. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

New York street next to the hardware store in aurora. big operation! tim

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Im not sure I know where that is luckyshot...

Forrest

7. alfadawg

alfadawg TS Member

New York St. weat of Eola road about 2 miles, it's on the south side of the street. Also Herbo tree service on Warenville road just east of Winfield rd.
    MIke

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Hey Forrest. On Rt. 47 on the way up to Elburn to shoot, there's a place on the West side of the road with a small sign for firewood. My bet is his price is better than anything you'll find in Naperville.

9. joe kuhn

Check out Naperville Mulch. It's on the corner of Raymond and Ferry right after the Welcome to Warrenville sign. South East corner.

I stopped in and filled the back of my trunk for $15.

You can see the pile of wood over the fence.

10. joe kuhn

It's 50 cents a piece. Take down the cell phone number. If he's not there, he'll suggest you leave the check in the mail box. In this day and age! Great guys.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Hey Forrest, when you coming to the Club for your introduction?! Been holding your application awhile,

Jay Spitz

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd say hello to other local gusy on the site I'm in Elmhurst and do most of my shooting at Maywood Sportsman club. Not shooting for awhile as I had shoulder replacement surgery three weeks ago.

13. joe kuhn

Which shoulder?

I had a kidney stone attack on Monday and passed that little sucker on Tuesday. Whew!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fire wood for sale naperville

firewood naperville

pick up firewood naperville il