1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fireplace design: my fireplace smokes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quartering, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

<i>THIS DOES NOT BELONG IN THE SHOOTING SECTION - MODERATOR</i>

i've done some homework, here's the problem: the firebox is huge relative to the size of the flue. my question is whether or not something as simple as a smoke guard guard can really fix the problem. i'm thinking i might need some smoke side guards as well. what have you done to cure your smoking problem? thanks

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

smaller fires. less smoke.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the flu is all clear?

If yes, try the above URL for a look at up-draft ventilators

milt

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

good point. i don't burn walmart duraflame logs. i burn seasoned hardwoods. figure 3 or 4 logs, 6" x 24", at a time. i like a good fire. thanks

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

How often do you clean the flu. I have had mine almost close within a couple of months. I burn season wood. If the wood is in the shade all the time while drying then its possible if really is not dry.

What is the size of you flu. Many flues are to small in Dia. Many time the flu is not high enough for a good draw and the flu will smoke and plug in short time. Usually the flu only needs to extend just a couple of feet and that will take care of the problem. That is usuall the main problem. Bill

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I revised the URL web address which will take you directly to their fireplace ventilator.

milt

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

the flue is spic 'n span. but how does a taller chimney improve the draw? i could easily double the height. would that double the draw? thanks

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What is your flue pipe diameter, and do you have a a damper in the flue?

I have a draft gauge I use for the draft control. I drill a 1/4 hole in the flue pipe and have screw that fits the hole when done.

Your draft is never a constant, it depends on the amount of wood and condition of the wood. You want it burning hot enough to get the draft.

and is is possible to bring in smoke when you turn on the exhaust above your kitchen stove, or really bad smoke if you turn on whole house attic vent fan.

Is the house tight? You need some outside air.

With practice you will get it right.

40+ years in HVAC business.

What kind of wood burner do you have?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Also is this a fireplace insert?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

He said it was a fireplace with a firebox? I would put in a hearth stove, wood burner to get some real efficiency and heat. Natural fireplace will heat your front and freeze your backside.

I ran a stainless flex pipe through my natural masonry flue liner from my hearth stove.

Adding to your chimney could help your draft, too low or close to trees could hinder your draft. You could also place some makeshift temp smoke guard just to experiment before buying them. ( your chimney should be 3' higher than your ridge or 3' higher than your roof from 10'

If you have a clay flue liner protrusion and can access the top of your chimney easy, measure the size of the liner and buy a new one and place on top of your existing liner. This will give you two extra feet of stack to experiment with, if it works hire a mason to make the extension. (the cost of an average 2' liner is $12-$28 depending on size.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Quarting, I'm a bricklayer that has built over 200 fireplaces. There are a few things to ask you....Is this a masonry firebox? Do you have a masonry chimney? How tall is your chimney?

The size of the firebox is really not as important as the size of the opening. If you have a 36" opening you should have a 36" damper and 12x12 flue.

A 42" you should have a 42" damper and a 12x18 flue....so on and so forth.

Your flue has to be 2' above 10' away from the nearest peak of the house.

A taller chimney (flue) improves the draw because you are adding cubic inches of air of the flue vs. the cubic inches of the fireplace opening.

You can have a 12x12 flue with a 42" opening if you're flue is 20' tall.

I once built a firebox for the corporate offices of Pizza Hut that was 8' wide and 5' high. I told them that this would never work because there was not enough air (oxygen) in the size of the room.

Sometimes if you just crack open a window you will get a flue to draw air.

There are formulas for sizes of rooms, openings, heights of chimneys, dampers,etc. Masonry chimneys have been around a few thousand years. It's not rocket science.

Wayne

12. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Wayne hit one problem on the head, I had a problem with one once, chimney same height as the roof ridge, wind turbulance was rolling the smoke back down the flu, one more flu tile up amd my problem was gone.

Rick

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

the box is masonry. about 60" w, 36" h, 30" d. flue is about 15" x 30" and 15' high. clears the roof by about a foot and a half. thanks

14. d endicott

d endicott Member

your chimney has to be at least 2'to 3' above the peak of the roof

15. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

This is one of the best discussions I've read on the problem of smoking fireplaces...

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=94984337809&topic=8896

Really helped me fix the problems I was having.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I've never seen a 15"x30". Are you measuring at the chimney top where the clay liner protrudes through brick work and the cement crown ?

That's a monster! As is the firebox width.

17. shaggist

shaggist Member

Once your chimney is the correct height above the surrounding roofline, look into a WIND DIRECTIONAL CHIMNEY CAP. This is a weathervane-type cap that swivels into the wind direction and creates a vacuum on the downwind side, that aids the draft in your chimney. It works very well and a good one lasts a long time. It also keeps rain & snow from coming down the chimney. Jack Young

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

In many areas the code for the stack is 2'or more above the peak of the roof. Do you have a draft control on the front of your fire box or insert. Many chimmney's will smoke when you first light a fire in them. That is why years ago when it was the norm to have wood burning stoves was before you lit the wood people would burn some news paper in the beginning of the opening of the flu to get warm air starting up which then creates a draft. After you get a good fire going then you begin to close the draft accordingly. Diamater makes a big difference also.Bill

19. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Just open a window about 2" until the fire warms the masonry warms. Depending on your construction you might need full time outside air into the firebox.

Barry Kemper

20. AEP

AEP Member

Ihad the same problem at my house. My wall above the fireplace was turning black from soot. I talked with many experts and they all told me to extent the chimmeny 12"-24". I had an extension made out of 16 ga galvanized sheet metal that was 3' .

WOW what a difference. No more smoke. It draws good whether I have a small fire or one that's rip-roaring. If its windy it still dosen't smoke.

It does make a difference.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fireplace smokes when window open