1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms transfer info needed...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks5shooter, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Im in NJ and a fellow who wants to buy a shotgun from me is in Maryland.He wants to come pick it up .Do I need to go through an ffl dealer or can we transfer it privately?thanks for any info.....Don

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Yes you can.
    Don

3. jtf650

jtf650 Member

No doubt such transactions occur every day, but that doesn't make them legal in the eyes of the ATF. Unless both parties are residents of the same state, the transaction must go through an FFL in order to conform to the requirements of the law. Here is an excerpt from the ATF faq section:

"(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides."

I'm not saying I like it or agree with it, and I'm sure it is routinely ignored, just like the speed limit. And I have no idea what additional requirements NJ or MD may impose, if any. But you should know what's legally required and consider the consequences before you decide how you want to proceed. James Fawcett

4. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

5. gunnertom

gunnertom TS Member

You should check the laws in MD,,they have some f##ked up laws. Tom

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Why not meet at Miller's Gun Shop in Delaware for the transaction (Route 13, just north of the Wilmington Airport)?? - I figure it's half way for both of you.

Pay the transfer fee and it's legal for sure - or they may tell you it's legal to transfer directly. Better safe than sorry.

David D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.