1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms bluing: personal recommendation.wanted...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by noknock1, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I've received two firearms that have virtually no collector value but will be kept for sentimental reasons.
    The first being a plain 1100 that is older; it is the deer combo set which includes the rifled slug barrel, the other barrel is a 28" with no rib, front bead, and fixed full choke. The 1100 has very minor rust and basically could use a detailed cleaning and blue job.

The second is what I am very interested in restoring, it is a 39A Golden. The lever has major pitting on the outside of the barrel over a 7” area. The rest of the rifle is in pretty good shape. The inside of the barrel looks pretty good.

I found the above link along with many others, but would appreciate some insight from those who are pleased with the bluing work that they paid for. I do like the looks of the case hardening for the Marlin.

Although sentimental, that only goes so far, I am willing to pay up to $400.00 per gun. I found one website where the guy looks to do phenomenal work, but he is about $700 and up... That is too much for me with these pieces.

So who do you personally recommend when it comes to bluing / basic restoration of modern firearms?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are located, but Woodcock Hill (Thomas Bland shotguns) might be able to help.

They are near Scranton, PA and are tied to the UK company of Thomas Bland shotguns. The owner loves to work on old guns and has all the tools and equipment for same.

He does old fashioned coloring and case work and his prices are reasonable

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Glenrock, good work and very reasonable. web address above

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

noknock,

if you are close to Tucson AZ or coming anywhere near here, where you are free to bring the firearms.

I do as good work as anyone in the country, NO it is not humble or an opinnion, it is a fact.

I plug my Trap Club all the time, come out for any of Tucson Traps shoots and while you are here I will to my best to not only turn the work around, but make it what you want, or as close to practical to what you want. I have also been told that I do not charge enough for the quality of work I do.

Look for my ad in the AZ STATE Trap shoot program.

Al Lingham
    Kelso Gunsmithing

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd second that... But you might consider sending them to Doug..He'll go thru the guns.. see they are properly refinished.. and get them back to you..

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Economy Gunsmithing Rich Painter, Jake Parisi 724-266-0232 Excellent bluing skills they do bluing for a lot of companys and all over the country.

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Big Al, not heading towards AZ, I am in Indy, but will talk more with you in the near future. I will email you and get your phone number.

To everyone else, thanks for the recommendations. I see I need to make some phone calls and get some good close up pictures of the guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.