1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearm transfer another state

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coal stove, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coal stove

coal stove TS Member

Ok, here's the story, I'm in MD and the buyer is in VA. can he come to my MD FFL and do the paperwork or do we have to go to VA. the buyer is willing to come here , as he is here anyway on business. It would save time time and money for both of us. None of my dealers are awake yet, just thought I would throw it there.

Chip

2. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Him delivering it to your FFL would be the same as him shipping it to your FFL.

Your FFL would receive the gun, run your paperwork/NICS and then transfer the gun over to you.

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since coal stove is the seller, as far as I can see, I believe the adjoining state rule applies.

Buyer can do paperwork in Md, same as purchasing from a store.

HM

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

As long as it's not a handgun he should be able to purchase the gun in MD. even though he is a VA, resident. I have purchased shotguns in WI. while a resident of FL. I have purchased a shotgun in AR. while a resident of FL. Should be no problem. Ed

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Assuming this is a private sale (between 2 legal adults) because the gun is being brought across state lines, is that why it needs to go through a FFL?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

There are a number of ways to do it. One is to look at each other and one hands ove rthe cash and the other the gun. Done deal. I have done so with people that I have known and were given thumbs up from people I knew. The second way is to have the gun go through two FFL dealers. Each dealer will charge each person fordoing so. Any where from $25. to $75. That depends on the dealer. The third way is for the Va guy to go to MD and give his ID to the dealer in MD be charged a fee and then the buyer will be charged a fee. See if the guy is shooting trap by looking him up on the ATA member site. See how long he has been shooting and how much he has been shooting. If a fair amount then just buy the gun with cash and don't feed the dealer. Besides the less the BATF knows the better for us shooters. Your call. Hope things work out for you.

7. coal stove

coal stove TS Member

Spoke with my FFL after they got out of bed, they can do the transfer, no bordering state clauses, would have liked to have gone the Gargoyle route, just did not feel comfortable with it. The last thing I need is to have someone (Feds) banging on my door in the middle of the night, then I would being going to jail for slinging a couple rounds of lead there way, besides the illegal gun sale. Thank to all for info.

Chip

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

maddog: Why is Gargoyles' #1 method a Federal felony? If I am at a gun show and am not a resident of the state that the gun show is located at; are you saying that I can't purchase a shotgun or a rifle from an individual who has a table at the show? (I understand the laws regarding a handgun) I may be wrong, but I have seen shooters sell a gun at an ATA event. In a case just recently the shooter sold a very nice Kreighoff to a fellow shooter. (This was in Florida) The seller was from Florida and the buyer was from Indiana. Were they commiting a felony?? I have a hard time believing that. Ed

9. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

The BATF, cops and some others would love for you all to believe everything they say. There is so much scare BS out there you don't know what is true and what is not. They want to scare you into doing wha they want. I know a number of people from the states around me. I see them at shoots enough to know they are shooters and sportsman. Other people who also shoot in my state will and have known the same people. To me selling them a long gun is fine. A handgun is a different matter. You all believing everything you hear from the BATF and the cops is like believing what your father said about going blind when you play with something. I have from time to time looked at the buyer and told him to get a friend who lives in Va and have him hand me the money. What he does with it is not my problem. Also in Va you are well within the law to sell your own gun or guns to another person without paper work. THAT IS THE STATE LAW.

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 50?

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Judge.

Sorry but its been this way for years and has been done. As far as I'm concern you are not a judge and you are just trying to scare people into believing you. Whos' to say your not an anti gun person who is here just to stur up the waters and scare people. Sorry but thats the way I see it. If you were a true judge then what is your name and what state and what county do you sit in? A true judge would put his name. As long as someone takes money from a instate person they are with in the law. As I said before what he does with it is not my concern. There are people out there who would love to see guns gone and if your a true judge you know what would happen if guns were taken out of the hands of honest people. The crooks would have a field day.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Actually the judge is dead on (sorry for his IQ comment). Most judges I know and associate with have IQ's in the SD+2 range.

The law is NOT what is written, BUT what a judge decides.

If you don't like a judge's decision you must appeal, if there are legal grounds permitting an appeal.

Do the FFL way simply to protect yourself should something unforeseen happen; like a burglary where the gun is stolen and ultimately used in the commission of a crime. If it is done via US Code and FR, then you should have nothing to fear.

I have had this happen as a dealer. I sold a gun to my pheasant hunting friend. It was stolen from his residence and recovered following its use in a crime.

We followed ALL legal protocols, provided law enforcement all the details they requested, and all was fine.

Had I NOT done it legally, I would have committed a felony in my own right and the Feds would have prosecuted, I am sure.

WW<BR>
    FFL Dealer

13. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

It people like you and this gov who wants EVERY gun in this counrty to be registered. They want to know where ALL the guns are. If your foolish enough to give them that info then you are willing to not only give up your guns but your right to own them. The politicians would love to have a free hand to do as they please but they fear of being shot. As Thomas Jefferson once said " I wish for the people of this country to have a militia and the right to keep and bears arms for the purpose to keep the politicians and tyrants in check". The less the gov knows the better about where guns are. You have only made posts in two threads under the name Maddog. Your a newby.

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

ATF Pubication 5300.4

Revised September 2005

Page 177

B. Unlicensed Persons

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA (Gun
    Control Act)?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his state, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal Law.

A persom may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing under Federal Law.

A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any state.

However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred inerstate to a lincensed collector.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person aquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchaes or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State Laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the perchaser resides.

A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

(B3)(Summary-DB) Goes on to explain that residents of two different States can trade or sell to one another...as long as there is a licensed dealer acting as the middleman.

Doug Braker

15. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Supershot, it is my understanding that you need a warrent to do so. If you trace someones to their home or work wouldn't that be invading their privacy? It is also against the law to. Is it worth risking your job just to find out who Gargoyle really is. It isn't to me. Second it is also a unwritten rule to not say who is who here on TS.com. If you do so I feel you will be sorry that you did so.

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

went through all this and dr gun got you straight hey any thing you do in life is public to everyone in the would if you dont beleive it go to super pages if you go through everything and then spend the $60 you can find out what time you left for work this morning sad but true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.