1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearm Transaction Question

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by cottondoctor, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

0   0   0

I think it is, but, is it fully legal under BATF rules (law) for an individual to send a Firearm to a fully legal and legit FFL dealer in another state – and that dealer in turn, log that firearm out to a different individual. Such as – person A, in blank state buys a firearm from a person B, in blank state – 2 states away. Person A sends person B a signed FFL from his local dealer – Person B then ships the gun to the FFL….the FFL then logs the gun in from person B and out to person A ???????? Thanks in advance

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

3. wbill

wbill Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Unless you send to CA. in which you have to go from FFL to FFL. But there are other circumstances also. Some dealers will not accept a firearm from an individual because if the person buying the gun backs out of the deal then that dealer is stuck with the firearm with no one to send it back to if the sender will not take it back. Bill

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Not true. I've sold a few guns to CA, and none of them were ever shipped from a FFL. A dealer on the receiving end may choose not to receive a firearm from a non-FFL, but there is nothing that requires them to receive firearms from a FFL ONLY.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

I heard that pistols must go FFL to FFL? Is that true?

6. wbill

wbill Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Check again, I just sold one to a guy in CA. and they made me send it form my FFL to there FFL and required there FFL # and there 5 digit CA. license # also.
    I think this is a new law out there. They also would not let the buyer receive the gun for ten working days.

7. skeet_man

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

As I said, its up to the buyer's FFL (and that holds true for any state). I would have had the buyer find another FFL, or would have canceled the transaction.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

you also need a california permit number. it is free for the dealer but you have to apply for it.

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

skeet man is 100% correct. The main reason FFL-holder's are refusing to accept a gun from out of state unless it's sent by someone with an FFL is pressure from both the ATF and CA DOJ (who should know better). If the FFL holder resists the pressure and does accept long guns from a non-FFL holder the ATF and CA DOJ make things tough by constant audits and inventories plus the threat of renewals running into problems that run past the expiration date of the FFL. Very few dealer's are willing to resist this bullying because it will affect their bottom line. They're between a rock and hard place.

It's been in effect for sometime now but FFL holder's also need to charge a fee of about 10% for guns coming into CA from private sales - the State says it isn't a tax but the funds go to the Board of Equilazation.

10. skeet_man

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Motor- Only FFL dealers need the permit, private individuals do not.

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

0   0   0

My experience is the receiving FFL (even in CA) is the decision-maker whether to accept a firearm directly from an individual. If they will, they usually ask for a copy of the sender's driver's license. In my case I also sent a copy of my Illinois FOID (Firearm Owner's ID) card.

Gene in Illinois

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

States and even municipalities can make the federal requirements more restrictive for safety reasons

So there is no way of knowing the answer without knowing what those additional requirements, if any, might be

Anytime you really are concerned about the law you should consult an attorney in that jurisdiction if you want to be absolutely certain. Or someone else that you would trust with your own livelyhood and freedom. If you are wrong, particurally with handguns for example it might be a big deal.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.