1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearm pickup in person- Different states

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 3, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Possibly running into a situation I've never come across before.

I have a rifle for sale on Armslist. Potential buyer is PA resident (I'm a NY resident), and would like to pick the gun up in person.

Unfortunately this would violate both Federal (since we are not residents of the same state) and NYS law (since NYS law now requires all private transactions to go through a FFL).

Does anyone know if we could both go to my dealer here in NY and do the transfer?

There are no NYS laws that prevent this, but I don't know about PA laws, or Federal laws.

Normally I'd just ship it to his FFL, but if he can pick it up from me, and we can do the transfer legally, it saves me having to box it up and risk damage in transit.

I have to go to my dealer this afternoon anyways, so I can ask him then if I remember. Even if it is legal, finding a dealer willing to go through the hassle may be the bigger pain LOL.

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think it's ok from a federal standpoint as long as it's ok in each state.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Run the gun through a PA dealer. Get the buyer to set things up and pay the fees.

The dealer can accept the gun from you, and can do the paperwork for a PA resident with minimum drama.

4. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

For Rifles and Shotguns (not handguns) I thought that Federal law allowed you to purchase from neighboring states (any state that connected on to your state).

5. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

frostyman:
    That is outdated (contiguous state long gun sales). Now, a long gun can be sold by a dealer in his home state to any resident of any state - except three states which do not allow it. And, I believe, New York is one of the three. I believe New Jersey and Commiefornia are the other two. There may be more than three now with all the new state laws. Mike

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I guess you guys are just too damn honest for me! Tom Rhoads

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Rebel:

I'm not sure you are right about NY. I don't think there is any NY restriction more severe than the fed law on that issue. I certainly could be wrong, but would like to see a cite.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I'm not sure you are right about NY

NY requires background checks for all gun sales, including by private sellers - except for sales to members of the seller's immediate family. Private sale background checks began March 15, 2013.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Joe, that's right but is not related to the issue. I don't see anything that prohibits a NY resident making a transfer to a PA resident at an FFL's premises in NY. OK at fed level, I believe ok at NYS level, so PA is the remaining issue.

11. skeet_man

Going to ship to his FFL in PA, so the issue resolved itself.

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I am not sure I am right about New York either. The three states may be New Jersey, Illinois and California. Mike

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I would do it and not advertise it on trapshooters.com.
    Clyde

14. skeet_man

1oldtimer- I do everything by the book. I'm far too young to go to prison because I sold a stupid gun illegally.