1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fire out of the breach

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by comp 1, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

About once or twice out of every 200 rounds I will get a streak of fire out of the breach of my beretta 390--it seems to make no difference if the gun is sparkling clean or somewhat dirty--actually it seems to happen with some regularity after I have cleaned it and shot perhaps 50-100 rounds thru it--any guesses as to the cause? Beretta says they have never heard of this problem and I just can't believe that--I suspect that the gas port is not clear for some reason ,but am not sure.

2. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

comp 1.....Back in the late fifties when THE load for trap was 17 grains of Red Dot, it was not uncommon to get a flash out of the breech of an 1100 once in a while. Apparently some unburned powder collected around the mouth of the chamber and at some point ignited and caused a lazy yellow flame. At the very least, it made it easier to clean.

Jere

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It,s just part of the fun of shooting an auto . It is kind of an extra you get for free . Shooting a break open gun I miss that part of the game . I guess it,s the price I pay for not shooting an auto .

ALF

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

moustache trimming for left handers.... only needed occasionally....

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

It's very common and NORMAL.....just shoot the damn thing.

Tron

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Same thing with my SuperX2 every once in a while. Real neat at night!

7. rrose

rrose TS Member

happens to me with my 1100, always scares the heck out of me when it happens.
    Randy

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Tron sure has a way of putting things that are easy to understand.

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I had several of those Sunday using Promo. Created what seemed to be huge flashes of fire out the ejection port. Not every time but after half dozen I set those reloads aside for OU use.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It really gets your attention when shooting at night. HMB

11. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Kind of like whiny customers at the Ford dealership....Turn up the radio and DRIVE the dang car!

Steve

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The problem can be reduced by using a different primer. The Remington STS and Cheddites seem to cause the problem more frequently than others. No problems with the Winchester or Federal primers. I had one load with Remington Primers and Green Dot that I used in the back fence games at night. It usually startled the next shooter to my right.

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

This is interesting on several fronts. Beretta's reply is not true. I was a Beretta rep for a short while and they have heard about this FROM ME among many others. My gun does it sometimes and like one poster said RED DOT causes it to happen more - the only time my gun does this is with a Red Dot load. Another poster said Cheddite primers caused it more and I use Cheddite primers. It will definitely wake you up when it happens and I have even felt the heat on my face a time or two. I think I am proof that these posters are right on with their comments.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It keeps me focused........(0)(0)

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I was using Remington Nitro hulls and STS primers so I will load AA hulls, with AA209s for the auto.

16. JHS

JHS TS Member

I have had it happen on my 1100 with Rem 209 primers and STS hulls. Have not noticed it with Winchester 209 primers and AAs.

In any case I am sticking with Remintons because of the hull.

Jim.

17. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

It was horrendus from my 1100, while using Remington STS primers. I switched to Federal 209A at the suggestion of Quack Shot. It COMPLETELY eliminated the flash. The first time it happened to me, I almost dropped the gun, I thought it had exploded. I was use to shooting a K 80, so not a problem with a break open gun.
    JJJ

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I wonder if it has to do with how hot the primer burns. Winchester and Federal primers, from what I've read, burn hotter than Remington primers. Then that would make sense if it is the unburnt powder building up and finally igniting at some point. Josh

19. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Jim Porter,Beretta actually told me they'd never heard of the problem--as far as reloads go it seems to not matter whether they are used or not.Last night I shot the gun with 2and 3/4 Rio,s and it was almost 4 shells out of every round--I've never been hurt by it but it causes me to start raising my head on follow up shots --I,ve tried ignoring the problem but I guess I'll just sell the thing--It's a beretta 390 with a g-square stock ,speeded up trigger and ttrap choke-no choke tube--absolutely crushes targets with almost no felt recoil--also has a mercury tube front grip cap--paid 1300 -any reasonable offers?

20. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

When I had my 391 (when I first started shooting), I used factory loads only. The first time I saw the fire coming out of the breech, we were shooting a night league. I thought my gun was going to explode. You've never seen a gun leave someone's hands as fast as it left mine! Scared the living daylights out of me. I was later told it happens all the time, but it's really visible in low/no light. I don't miss it or the lost targets at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 unburned powder flaming from the ejection port

cheddite primer breach

fire coming out shotgun breach