1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fire in the Hull"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DocJim, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocJim

DocJim Member

I shoot a Remington 1187 with a "wire" in the barrel extension to prevent ejection. Frequently as the shell is extracted a tongue of blue flame is noted protruding from the mouth of the case. Only noted shooting under the lights. Dosen't hurt anything but is a bit distracting. I load AA or STS hulls with 16 grains of 700X, Claybuster 1oz pink wad, and Rio primers (although the same thing happens with Winchester primers). Chronographed velocity is 1160-1175 fps. Any thoughts as to the cause and how it could be corrected?

Jim

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

EJECT EJECT.

Sorry, couldn't help my self. I shoot 17.5 of 700X and use a CCI 209 or a CCI 209M. I don't have that problem but yet you do have a auto.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Crimp your shells deeper, use Federal primers, or both. I used to have that problem with Remington primers in my 1100!!

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Change to Clays and see if it happens!

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Happens to me with my 1100 when I shoot those Remington Nitro Sporting clays loads for games....only its not blue...its orange as in fire.

Forrest

6. chessney

chessney TS Member

Get a small stick and a marshmallow and kill two birds with one stone...Ziggy

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have had my 7/8 oz. loads do it for years using 16 to 18 gr. of Clays, Rem 209 primers and various wads.Its doing it again this Fall with PMC primers. Deep crimps seem to help but it bothers adjacent left hand shooter more than me. Wear safety glasses and the burning hair smell will soon pass. Shoot thru it!

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

The "fire in the hull" drove me to abandon shooting my 1100 after dark...too disconcerting. Now using a Browning XT. If there is a solution...hotter primer, etc. I would like to know. Help! Best Regards, Ed

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

Pullll,

No, no fire from the end of the barrel. The exhaust ports are clean but there is more carbon accumulating on the magazine tube than I think is normal. The wad pressure is about 35 pounds and the crimps are "factory". I'll try those other wads next time. I've also heard, on this site I think, that the Rio primers are as hot as the Federals although I don't have published brisance figures.

Jim

10. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I notice it occasionally while shooting my 391...........no worries....drive on.

hubcap

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

This is an inherent condition of shooting singles at night with a shell catcher on an Auto, I have not seen a powder that will not give the same results. If you open up your slide action or break open quickly enough after the shot if fired, you will find smoke emitting from the case mouth (some times even fire), like they say, where there's smoke there's fire, the auto's are more prevalent when it comes to seeing this condition, 'cause it right in front of your face. Nuff said.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As for the primers, the RIO G-600 appears to be as hot or hotter as the Federal 209A or CCI 209M. That statement is made in reference to the Pressures listed in the available loading data. I had the same issues with flames at night and have found that using a sufficient amount of a proper powder for the load, as well as a Federal or Winchester Primer seems to have cured the flames. I experienced the flames the most when using the Remington primer with a slightly slower powder like Green Dot, expecially when loaded toward the lighter side. No troubles with proper loads of Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Clay Dot, 700-X, etc, using the Federal or Winchester primers. The Fiocchi 616 primers and the Cheddite 209s also seem less prone to flames than the Remingtons. I use the Rio primers a very limited number of loads and have never experienced flames from them either. I also don't load anything too far on the "light" end of the spectrum either. I also have made some choices in primers based on cold weather performance with certain powders. I can't say that any one primer is the solution, but I can tell you that the primer can sometimes have a profound effect on the loads performance when the temps drop. A good tight crimp of proper depth also aids in reducing inconsistent or incomplete burning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.