1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIRE IN SO. CAL.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well we are on fire again. A couple of gun clubs may be threatened: Oak Tree is up the 5 Frwy. and they are closing the 5 and 14 Fwy's. Lopez Canyon Gun club escaped the last fire, but may not escape this one. North Hollywood Gun Club is further north and probably will be OK. Noth Hollywood's Turkey Shoot will have to be cancelled for today as the freeways will be closed. Also, it is tough to shoot in sustained winds of 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph. One TV station reported winds at hurricane levels. Time to break out the #2 shot.

Closing the 5 Fwy. is a real problem as it is the MAJOR east-west corridor for inter state truck traffic from NO. Cal. to SO. Cal.

Fred

2. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

My son's plane, Tanker 910, a converted Wide Body DC 10 still flying . Tanker 911 may be on the way, if needed. AJ

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Steve: yes you are right, but at 4:00AM I am lucky to find the computer room. Bob: These fires appear to have been started near populous areas. It is not so much under brush, as it is trees and roofs catching on fire due to the high winds. Embers carrying for miles. These are not forest fires, but probably arson. Now there is another one further south. Bob: were you out of San Diego and ran Cocker Spaniels in hunt tests? Fred

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

best thing that could happen to CA is slide in the sea With all the A/H there

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Classy post, ricks. There are a lot of us that aren't A/Hs

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

About a month or so I seen an article on TV that stated the actual value of using air fire suppresents was more for the value of the general public than value in fire fighting. I do not know what the real truth is.

But having been raised in a family of lumber loggers etc., I can say the real problem is the suppression of natural burns. We have stopped these natural burns to the extent the forests, etc., are completely overgrown. The real problem in only beginning. - Jim

7. BMC

BMC Member

AJ, if your son is still flying that plane, then I saw it make a pass over Yorba Linda this afternoon. Impressive to see such a HUGE plane making a pass so low.
    One of those expensive homes you saw on TV was a good friend of mine. His efforts were no match for that inferno.

8. ShawnaTX

ShawnaTX TS Member

I know A.J. is proud of his son!

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

BMC, Sorry it didn't help. My son did some of the design work for the tankers and heads the maintainance operation. That plane can drop 100,000 pounds of water or retardant and after landing can reload in eight minutes. It's payload is ten times that of the other planes or chopers. The first time it was used the firefighters were afraid they would be washed off the mountain. AJ

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Years ago, at one of the probation camps, we had fire threatening us and a large prop plane came over with a drop. He flew so low that you could wave to the pilot and his drop was perfect. The fire coming down the mountain was extinguished and we were safe. These guys who are flying these planes are so skilled and brave [maybe a little crazy], that we can only say Thank You! My elderly aunt lost her mobile home in the initial blaze at Oaks Trailer Park. She is asking the family to put together her telephone book and family pictures that she lost. This trajedy suddenly is real personal! Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.