1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIRE ANTS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

1.1/8oz. of 8,s

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Amdro! But you have to be patient and persistent. Contrary to what you think, ants do not eat solid food. The scavengers/workers bring back the food into the nest and it is turned into a liquid by others to be fed to the colony. It takes time but it works as they feed the poison to others in the colony. A fireant colony can carry for hundreds of yards underground. You may destroy one mound to have another pop up elsewhere. Keep at them and they will be gone slowly. Feed them early morning or evening when warm and put the bait around the mound not on it.

Scott

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Just pee in a jar then let it get stale (couple of days) pour it on the mound=dead ants.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

reddottm1:

My local newspaper carried an Associated Press story yesterday about another invasive ant species commonly referred to as crazy rasberry ants.

This aint a joke. 'Crazy' refers to their tendency to wander erratically instead of marching in regimented lines. 'Rasberry' is a reference to Tom Rsberry, an exterminator who did battle with them early on.

Crazy rasberry ants were first spotted in the Houston, Tx. area in 2002. They have since spread to five Houston area counties. Their origin hasn't been determined but they are believed to have arrived in cargo shipped through the Port of Houston.

The ants are hairy, reddish-brown in color and reported to be about the size of a flea. They must be little bad a$$es because they EAT fire ants.

The bad news? They also eat ladybugs and other beneficial fauna. They damage certain plants by sucking fluids from them and they run amok in electrical equipment causing a host of problems.

Oh, and they're resistant to over the counter ant killers...

It almost sounds like the story line of a 1950's "B" grade horror movie.

sissy

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I saw a show on TV a while back where they were introducing some kind of fly into fire ant colonies. Apparently this fly is a natural enemy of the fire ants and it disposes them by laying their eggs inside the ants head. It was a very interesting show.

ec90t

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Gasoline on the mound but the greenies will fuss at you. Leaves brown spots but no ants. Jake

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Here in Miss. we are plagued with the little devils. The ONLY way to be rid if Fire Ants is to MOVE north. Something we southerners don't wish to do! They can't survive when the night temp stays below a certain level and I am not too sure what that is. They are just now getting to the Memphis area. Bad news is that they are becoming more tolerant and may well go all the wy to Canada.
    They kill calves, young birds, any anamil (including people) who can't fend them off. You have to see it to believe it. Even in floods they gather into a ball about the size of your two fist and roll along on top of the water and you best not let a ball touch you--instant total coverave! They spread out and then one bites and sends a message to everybody else. Believe me, you will shed all your clothes in public on a bad cold day!
    The Bayer poision, Amdro, and there is onother caled Ortho or Orotahne that works well. You can keep them down but you will never make them go away.
    Just for fun, take a shovel full from one mound and put it on another--talk about war!!

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Sugar water and boric acid sounds justlike the product called Terro that works great for grease ants. bill

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Fire Ants? I've never hired any.

10. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Try a product called Termidor. It's actually a termite poison , is approved for fire ants right now. I does not kill on contact. It get on them and every ant they touch gets the poison on them and its kills them. Works great.
    Sonny

11. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

Nuke 'em! "I think we should take off and nuke it from orbit, just to be certain." Sorry..had to. Hey at least I didn't suggest a magnifying glass on a sunny day...

Boric acid works...you could even spread the powder straight from the bottle over a swarm..they try to get it off and bring it into the colony and end up dying as they ingest it. No satisfying "pop" but when you see a bunch scurrying into the colony with a fresh white powder coat you know you won't be seeing many for a while. Put some on, and all around the mound..

12. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

mines, hand grenades, flame throwers.

13. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

About 1/2gal of gasoline into the middle of the mound through a funnel or the like will kill them all. Don't plan on having green grass though.

14. bkms

bkms Member

I have had good luck this year with the Bayer powder ant poison at walmart. I have also found something real good. I quit reloading and, yep you guessed it. I took what powder i had left over, sprinkled the mound, got the ant stirred up then lit it up. Instant death for the little Btards, lol. When i ran out of regular gun powder i got my FFFg muzzleloading powder and it works good too, lol. Only problem is my lab was too curious and that slow to ignite made him too curious. When he pounced on the ant mound last week, poof went the fffg and he no longer had whiskers, eyelashes, or any hair around his chin. In fact his lips turned pink and his chest hairs got singed. Hes allright but he might think twice next time, lol.........

15. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

+1 for the TERMIDOR, I had a bad ant problem the pest control company couldn’t make a dent in. I live on an 1 ½ acres and had ants everywhere. A friend suggested Termidor; I walked my whole lot sprayed all the mounds and that was the end of my problem.

This place had good service for me. www.doyourownpestcontrol.com

The Termidor worked so good, I got rid of the ants and the Pest Control Guy!!! ; )

Happy Hunting!

Sprintbender

16. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Just hang on , they will be back!!

17. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Buy a Ant Eater. People own Lions and Tigers so why not.

18. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

I built a new house about 12 years ago,after a couple years in the house we had a real ant problem.I treid a lot of stuff but even after a few years they of not being around they would show up again.A lady I work with told me she had the same problem in her summer home and was told to mix 20 Mule Team Broax soap (looks like sugar flakes) and sugar together in equal amounts,so I tried it what the heck.What was scarry was I put a lot down and it all disapeared,what was even better no more ants.I don't know what this does but I do know we do not have an ant problem any longer,hope this helps.

19. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Demon xp it kills carpenter ants great . It also kills snakes I have piles of bugs around my house after i spray. I get it for a janitor supple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.