1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiochi primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS user, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS user

KS user TS Member

Do Fiochi primers make the primer holes bigger.I have seen this thread on here before but i cant remember what the answer is. Brandon

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Yes. I load STS and Nitro hulls almost exclusively, and prefer to use STS primers. Unfortunately I can't get them all the time, and have occasionally used Fiochi instead. The Fiochi primers take noticeably more force to seat in the pockets, and once I have used them, I can't go back to STS. I tried a few STS just to see, and they could be removed from the hull with a punch using very light finger pressure. Conclusion: the Fiochi primers definitely do streach the primer pockets on STS hulls.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I haven't had the same problem as Pocatello. Fiocchi makes two primers (at least). The F615 is sized metrically and is larger than our standard 209 size. It will enlarge the primer hole to an extent that 209 primers cannot be used.

The F616 primer is a standard American 209 sized primer. I have used then in new AA and STS hulls with no problem. I could switch back to STS or W209 primers without problem.

I don't have any more F616 to check, but if memory serves, they do not have the step at the top like W209 primers do. They are shaped like Fed209A primers. STS209 primers are about .010" shorter than other 209 primers. Winchester puts a reducing step at the top of the primer to make it easier to load in an STS hull. You cannot tell the difference in loading pressure or effort when switching between these two primers. When you first load a Fed209A or F616 primer in an STS hull, it does take more effort, because you are expanding the area above the primer pocket in the hull. This expansion is above where an STS primer seats, and in the area the W209 primer had the step down. So, you never have a problem using STS primers after you have used a Fiocchi 616 or Federal 209A in STS hulls.

BTW, I measured all of these primers with a micrometer accurate to .0001", so I know they are the same average size.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All of the Fiocchi 616 primers I have measured are about the same diameter as other standard 209 size primers. The difference is that the contour is not the same. The forward end of the primer is about full diameter when most other 209 primers seem to have more taper, in one way or the other. For some reason, it seems like the Remington hulls have a loose fit with some primers. They really don't seem to be all that tight, but if they don't come out with very light finger pressure, they should be fine.

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

When I measured the 616 vs the STS 209, the Rem. was actually .0005 larger.

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Yes; I measured these with my caliper right underneath the rim and these averaged .003 inches larger than Winchester's or Remington's. Take it for what it's worth. I've had primers fall out of a couple out of 100 when I switched from the Fiocchi's to other primers. Once I start using the Fiocchi in a case I continue to use the same primer and don't switch back. BT-100dc

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Fiochi primers have a higher mis-fire rate.

I exchanged mine for Rio's never a mis fire in over 100,000

Both are larger in diameter than factory Win or Rem Primers

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I've used the 616 in both Fed papers and Rem Nitros and the primer hole was enlarged. Couldn't use either Fed or Rem after the 616.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Must be that I got all of the small, non-misfiring ones.

11. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I use ONLY Fiocchi 616 primers, and have done so for a few YEARS now. While I may not be the expert shot (or advice-giver) that some are, in my limited experience, I have NEVER had a misfire with them...........NOT EVEN ONE !!

Given today's technology, I fail to believe that there are any primer misfires due to manufacturing - regardless of whose product you prefer to use.

I DO believe, however -- that opinions might be based upon that "preference", as opposed to actual documented misfire ratios.

Sorry to those who have posted otherwise.........

As for the size question : Since I only use the Fiocchi, I have no experience (or opinion) in this arena. Mine all seat properly, and subsequent reloadings do not experience any problems with primers falling out.

Mind you - I have not gotten my Vernier caliper out lately, but I DO load them in Remington STS, Nitros & Gun Clubs, Winchester AA, Federal Gold Medal, and (of course) Fiocchi hulls. The results have been consistantly predictable. All primers remain in their designated pockets, and all shells go "bang" when the hammer falls.

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Nah, Blizzard...you didn't get them all. I'm 25,000 into them, with another 25,000 in my garage as I type this.

I'm punching cheddites out of fired hulls and remingtons out of new hulls to put the fiocchi's in. Just for fun, I tried to put a cheddite back in the hole after a fiocchi came out.

No issues.

Maybe my primer pockets are shrinking in the humidity?

14. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

Ive used 10,000 so far without a misfire in fed paper hulls.
    They do enlarge the primer pocket in my expieriance where a Federal or Winchester primer will be very loose after loading with a fiochi.
    I wouldnt reload with anything else once you load the Fiochi.

15. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

KS User asked, "Do Fiochi primers make the primer holes bigger?"

I use Fio 616 and WW 209 primers. I've bought 12,000 Fios in the last 14 months. I just ordered a new batch of each last week so I opened a box and mic'd them a few minutes ago. They are exactly the same diameter at the base just above the rim.

If they make the primer pockets bigger, it is because of some other reason than size. I load Federal, Remington and Win AA hulls.

Opinion is opinion. Facts are facts.

HBT

16. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Dr LONGSHOT....... HOW MANY misfires have you had with FIO 616's???

And regarding your statement...Could your shotgun be the cause of the misfires??

FN in MT

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

So i was thinking about this thread yesterday. And several others like it saying that cheddites make the pockets bigger, or Fiocchi's make the pocket bigger, or XXXX brand primers make the pocket bigger. Or Whatever.

The "proof" is always offered up that they "measured the primer with a micrometer, and it was .0005 bigger." Or .0006. Or .0003. Or whatever.

Good God, fellas.

They make these things on a MACHINE. You pay $20 per THOUSAND for them. What kind of precision do you think you get for a NICKEL??????

I've loaded just about every brand of primers they make at some point or another. And I've yet to pick up a shell and have the primer fall out on the floor.

Anybody that has time to do or think about this crap needs a job. Come sweep out my garage or change the oil in my car next time you get the urge to measure the diamter of 1,000 primers.

18. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Paying nearly $40 a thousand now for WW209s makes Fiocchi's worth a look for sure!

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

For Pocatello, STS primers are odd shaped anyway. So are the Rem hull primer pockets. That is why more force is required to seat any other brand of primer in a Rem hull. Of course that is a deliberate conspiracy by Rem., they are a sneaky bunch. I won't buy Rem primers if I have a choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.