1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiocchi shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hangn7, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Fiocchi shells for trap shooting. Locally they are a dollar or more cheaper 55.00 a flat , federals top gun 50.00 and 55.00 flat remington gun club 75.00 flat winchester AA 75.00 flat. How are they for reloading? What are your thoughts on these shells

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

hangn7

I have reloaded Fiocchi hulls and found that they were OK for a couple of loadings. I wasn't overly impressed, but they went bang and broke targets. I did happen to see one fellow with some white/clear Fiocchi hulls at the range yesterday and the shot was falling out of the shells. These were brand new and did have a large hole in the crimp. He checked several other new boxeas and to his dismay, they all sounded like there was loose shot in each box. There is a fair amount of loading data for these hulls and they seem to require a little more powder to obtain the same velocities as loads for tapered hulls.

3. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

It sounds like he needs to call the company. I have shot close to 3000 rounds and found them to be quite good. Its the reloading that I wonder about. Why do you feel that they are only good for a couple reloadings. What do I look for to see what you see. Thanks again Mark

4. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Where can I get Federals for $50 a flat? I am almost out and want to pick up around 30 flats... Anyone local in the Northern California bay area?

Aussie Phil

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I would like to know also. I just bought some Top Guns for $54 a flat and thought I did OK at todays prices. (Last year I bought the same shells from the same dealer for $40 a flat)!! Ed

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

hangn7

The main reason I only load them for a couple of times is that they are plentiful and I see no need to push them any further. The tubes are fairly thin, although I believe the plastic may be a little better quality than some of the other bargain import hulls. You could probably get a half dozen loadings out of them if you really wanted to. I'm not one of those people that will put tape over the crimp to hold the shot in, just to get one more loading from the hull. They are also a two piece hull and you never know what may eventually happen. I have never seen a basewad migration with the Fiocchi hulls, but some other "bargain" brand hulls of similar construction have exhibited just that. I usually guage my scrutriny of hulls for further loadings on when I start to see splits in the crimp area or other signs of weakness. I have seen the Fiocchis start to split after about two loadings. Some went past five without any trouble, but I don't bother to sort through hundreds of hulls looking for some that can be loaded once more. When a few fail, I toss the entire batch.

The fellow with the factory leakers will be taking them back to the dealer. It appears that he has an entire flat with the issue. Any manufacturer can have a problem once in a great while. That didn't affect my decision about using these hulls for loading. I just mentioned it since it was very recent and it pertained to the newly manufactured product before any reloading.

WalMart still has the Federal loads here for $20.88 for a four pack. That's $52.20 a flat of ten boxes.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Fiocchis are the ONLY shell that could get stuck in the chamber of my Brownings. The ejector would slide right past the base of the hull and just leave the shell in the chamber.

Morgan

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used Fiocchi heavy Pheasant loads for years and reloaded the hulls with no probs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.