1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiocchi Primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hitapair, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Anybody have any published data on Fiocchi primers? Interchangeable w/ any of the big 3 w/ or w/o adjusting your powder amount up or down? Thanks for any info or leads on where to go.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

I use red dot and promo and Alliant lists a number of loads using Fiocchi primers. You will have to adjust the bushings to get the correct charge for the loads you want to use. If you do not think this is important then buy new shells and quit reloading.

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I use the same loads for fiocchi that i used for my federal primers. 17.4 grains of Clays in a Gun Club hull with 1oz of shot and a claybuster 1100 wad. Have not chronographed it but i notice no difference in it.

its a 209 sized primer...though some say that once you load a hull with a fiocchi primer the pocket may stretch too much to go back & reload with a winchester or federal primer.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Oletymer, thanks for the info, although I'm not sure what the purpose of your last sentence was.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hitapair, he's passing on the "belief" that fiocchi primers are slightly oversized and will stretch the primer pocket in your hulls making it too large for your returning to Winchester or Rem. or Fed. primers later. I have no opinion since I've not loaded with them but this same mantra came out against Cheddite and others back when.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

6. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I only use Fiocchi primers reloading 20ga hulls and throw them away . I had to reset the primer station to force them into hulls originally adjusted for PMC primers so they are larger than most . I haven`t used them on 12 ga STS hulls and don`t plan on doing it .

7. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I think what Hitapair meant by no purpose of the last sentence,
    was,there's no intention of goin back to standard primers at the price they want.

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've use Fiocchi primers for my last 25,000 reloads. Never a misfire or any other problem. I use the under Claydot powder. If you look in the Hodgdon manual you'll see Fiocchi primers are usually +/- a 1/10 of a gr. different than Fed. 209. Never had a problem substituting, but I'm far from pushing the max. on any of my loads.

9. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

hehe..so true. Once you use Fiocchi primers at their price, you'll not want to go back to spending much more for a Win or Fed primer.

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"You will have to adjust the bushings to get the correct charge for the loads you want to use. If you do not think this is important then buy new shells and quit reloading."</blockquote>

I dunno...it sound to me like oletymer is cautioning against simply guessing at the powder charge when substituting one primer for another in an already-tested formula just because someone said that it works.

Mike

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

when I put calipers on the Fiocchi primers that I have and then put them on the STS's that I have, the STS'S were actually .002" BIGGER.

12. mike b.

mike b. Member

Fio's do enlarge the primer hole because they are a uniform diameter top to bottom. Some other primers are tapered( different measurement top and bottom. Changing to USA primer (when they were mostly made in USA), I've found CCI's are passable in Fiocchized hulls and now Rio's, etc..Using TRAP LOAD DATA, Win 209 data is close equivalent.(Your gun will not blow up or wear any faster) Watch out for Quackshot coming on this post after my last comment!!

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I measured the sts's at their largest point, which would be the top of the taper. I have also put sts's back into hulls that had Fio's in them previously, and they didn't fall out. My experience is with Fio and Rem sts primers only. I never checked win's, cheddite, fed etc.

Ron, think about it, a brass base compressing a brass primer? think about it now. LOL. also, now think about it ron, a relatively flat, thin, brass base compressing that relatively solid, round little primer? now think about it.............LOL Brett

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hitapair, Fiocchi 616 primers are excellent and standard 209 size. I've never had a problem with them, and never had one misfire. Hodgdon and Alliant both publish limited F616 data. If you can't find what you want, call Hodgdon or Alliant ballisticians and ask them (which I recommend). They will tell you to use W209 data. Both companies have data they do not publish, so if you ask for a particular load combination using F616 primers, they may have velocity and pressure data to give you.

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

During the time when Cheddites were aggressively complained about, I did the caliper test on Rem, Win, and Cheddites. What I found was the Cheddite was no more in diameter but they DID have very little if any taper and were more squared off at the flash hole end than the U.S. brands. It sounds like mike b. has determined the Fios are similar. The only trouble I ever had with the Cheddites was a tendancy to "snap" into the primer pocket with fresh hulls due to the more squared off shape. I never had trouble going back and forth with Winchesters and Cheddites and it seems there are others find the same with Fiocchis....breakemall...Bob Dodd

16. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I've used 25,000 F616 primers and have just purchased another 25,000. I have never had a misfire or size problems. They are not as hot as the F209A or the W209, slightly stronger than the STS209 and work wonderful in temperatures above 40 degrees. I find they don't ignite the powder well in cold temperatures. I use RIO or F209A in the winter. Richard

17. C-Money

C-Money Member

I bought some F616's, and had two duds in the first 100. NEVER had a dud in five years of using Remington primers. Only bought Fiocchi's due to the shortage of Remington 209's. The dud's happened during cold temps last Febuary. Once the f616's are shot up, I will go back to Rem if I can find them. Are Rem's back on the market yet?? Corey

18. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I've used several thousand Fiocchi primers in both 12 and 20 gauge.

Never an issue and go bang everytime.

According to both Alliant and Hodgdon techs, it can be substituted for a Win209.

I don't load max pressure stuff so I don't worry about exceeding pressures.

As someone stated, if you want to be SUPER safe, use Fed 209A data as the Fiocchi is definitely cooler.

My load is STS/TGT-12 or AA/Blue Duster, with 17.5gr of Promo and 1oz of lead. Does a wonder from the 16 yd line.

19. marotta

marotta Member

Anybody know where I can purchase Fiocchi primers near NYC, Westchester county?

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hi mike b.! Crawl out from under your rock, did you? You need to crawl back under it since it wasn't me that pissed in your cornflakes. If you didn't figure it out before, I have decided not to argue with A$$holes, so I have let your last few challenges go unanswered. You can do whatever you wish to do with your primers, but I would make ONE very special recommendation on where you can store them! Have a nice ........ Day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are fiocchi primers and rio primers interchangeable
fiocchi primers

fiocchi primers interchangeable

loading data for fiocchi shotgun primers