1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fiocchi primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diamond 101, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond 101

Diamond 101 TS Member

How do they compare to the other primers? How is there reloadability?

Thanks, Chad

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

"Search"

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

I swithced to them about 5 years ago and have had no problems.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use them all the time... NOT a cold weather primer.. but in New Orleans.. it rarely gets cold... they are not uniform..as velocity can have almost a 75 fps difference.. (arely) but it does happen.. Normally 30/40 fps.. and pressure can be + or - 300 psi... But certainly good enough.. Shooting.. you'll never know the difference.. Kevin at Downrange has done extensive testing on them.. His results are similar..

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have 3 Browning XTs ('83, '91, 97) and they will all punch through Fiochhi primers occasionally with the current OEM lower firing pin and spring in GC hulls. Aftermarket main springs increase the frequency of pierces. Use Winchester, Federal, CCI in same hull with same loader and have no problems with any of those.

It's a PITA to pull and dress the pin each time it happens. It will continue until I've reduced the pin's struck exposure by .006"-.007". Rio primers will do the same thing if I use them.

There is data for them in the Hodgdon online data guide for 1 1/8 oz.

MK

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have shot 20,000 Fiocchi's without a misfire or any type of problem. I have shot them through a Beretta 682, a Super X-1, a Model 12 and a Model 58 Winchester. No problem with any of these guns shooting these primers. Ed

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I've just finished my first sleeve of Fiocchis. They load fine. Ignition is consistent. I shot 300 rounds today with temps in the teens without incident. I have had no incidents of piercing in any of my guns, O/U or semi auto. They were $9 per thousand cheaper than the Winchester 209s.

8. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

In our area (No. Calif., Oregon, Wash, Idaho) Fiocchi primers are the most available and by far the least expensive ($107 as opposed to $150+ for Win, Rem, and Fed).

They seem to be about 97% reliable, that 3% attributed to certain loaders, guns, and hulls.

Without them we'd be in trouble. Cheddites are sometimes available at about $10 to $15 more and are nearly trouble free as well.

Very few of us are will to pay the price for the "Big Three" components.

Larry Addison

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Essox- What is a Model 58 Winchester?

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It"s my version of the Model 50!! Hey, give me a break. I'm 65 years old and have had 3 manhattans this afternoon.. Ed

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have fired 5000 of them with no complaints. I am opening up another sleeve tomorrow.

Matt Woodson

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

i dunno about that them not being cold weather, Mike...

I've shot 30k or more of them in Alaska...shooting year round, with no issues. Shot 125 of them today at 25 degrees, matter of fact.

I WILL say that when it's super cold - say 10 below - if you have light loads, they sound funny. But the bird breaks. Long as I stay above 17.8 grains of Red Dot with 1 ounce loads, it's not an issue.

I like them. Had a lot of trouble with Cheddites, with just the centers of them coming out in the deprime. Pain in the ass....

13. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

my observations ( used 40K of them ) are great. Now let it go down to 15F and slow powders, you might have a problem. fast powders, no problem.

14. oz

oz Active Member

they are great BUT after using you will not be able to use any other primers in the hulls you have. Fiocchi's are about .001" bigger and stretch the primer pocket. put another ie: rem win cheddite cci and they will fall out with a slight push. oz

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have been using them for a couple of years, never a problem of any kind. They have ben interchanged with WW209's in STS and AA hulls. Again with no problem. They seem to work better in my Dillon than any other primer i've used.

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

shot410ga
    +1

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

To the contrary I have had problems with them not firing, with a big dent, traded them for Rio's and never had a problem since, I now use Rio's exclusively.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Short time user of some Fiocchi 616's and have used Win 209 interchangably and nothing is falling out as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.