1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiocchi primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I can't find anything as to reloading Fiocchi primers. I now load Win 209 primers, 17 GR.700x,AA wad in old type AA hulls. Can I use the 209 Fiocchi
    primer safely? Thanks Butch H

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Butch: I am far from an expert in ballistics. That being said, the load that you quote is a very "low end" type load. In my opinion, go for it. Enjoy the savings. Ed

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The Fiocchi 616 primer is slightly larger in diameter than Win, Rem, Fed, etc. primers, so once you start using them, you should keep using them. ;-)

AndyH

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

AndyH...

Have you personally confirmed that the 616 is, in fact, larger than the 209's? I am concerned that this may be rumor, because I have also heard "informed" persons deny this assertion.

Many thanks.

WNCRob

5. don q

don q TS Member

Since I ran out of 616's I've been using Wolf primers and they seat just fine, no problems yet. don q

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

WNCRob.... I have been using Fiocchi primers for some time now. I can reload a Winchester 209 back into the primer pocket that had a Fiocchi in it and have had absolutely ZERO problems doing so. Load the Fiocchi's and don't give it a second thought. Great primers at a great price.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

I believe that years ago the fio's were slightly larger (say mid to late 80's. That is no longer the case. They are slightly different - the primer body is straight, where the win/rem primers have a slight taper. I think the fios are about 0.005 larger at the flash hole end, and about the same or slightly smaller at the flange end. About all this means is that they are a little harder to seat, especially in Remington hulls - the first time.

John

8. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Fiocchi's being over-sized is an old urban legend that USED to be true when these primers first came out as a replacement (Fiocchi 615 if I remember correctly) from the original Alcan 220 "Max-Fire" primers which WERE oversized. I'm loading the new, current Fiocchi's (616), and haven't noticed any "stretched" pockets or loose primers when decapping and reloading another brand of primer back into the same hulls. ....Rick

9. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Yes to what 3dram8 said.

Arnie

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

Thanks for the info,I was concerned because of not finding any info in the
    manuals for Fiocchi primers.I'll give them a try,THANKS AGAIN Butch H

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Butch,
    Check your private messages. Tom Rhoads

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The Fiocchi's I have in my hand measure 2 ~ 3 thousandths more than my Feds and Wolfs. When I use them in GC or any other steel-based hulls, they WILL make other primers fit more loose, and I will get leakage from these. Say what you want, but the micrometer doesn't lie!

AndyH ;-)

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Andy44 is right; I found these primers to be approx. .003" larger when measured just under the flair of the primer cup vs say a Winchester primer. Once you start using Fiocchi's then don't switch to another primer. Personally, I have good results with these primers and would recommend the purchase. Darrell

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Anyone who says Fiocchi primers are not larger has never checked any with a micrometer. They are only guessing............Roger

15. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Sorry boys, but the last 3 or 4 responders know what they are talking about! I have measured several from 3 different bricks/lot numbers and they are .0025-.003 " larger in diameter than my Fed 209As. If you do not believe this, just for the fun of it, insert a few into Fed Top Gun hulls and then deprime! I guarantee you will then be able to push Fed 209s in with your thumb and get them out with your fingernail! Sorry if I offended any of the "urban legend" boys! Tom Rhoads

16. mike b.

mike b. Member

Fiocchis are a uniform dimension from front to back. Other primers taper slightly from front to back.....hence the inside of the shell will be enlarged by a few thousands. Might not be a problem in most guns.

17. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I have miked several hundred primers (100 each), F 616, win 209, Cheddite, and Remington 209. The largest primer miked was a win 209, by 0.004". They all were miked as near to the flange as possible. Bob K

18. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Well, this is good stuff! I wonder if all primers vary somewhat in diameter by as much as 2 or 3 thousandths...that's not much, but it can make a difference I guess. I'll bet that much variation is deemed acceptable by the manufacturers. It would be interesting to find out what their design/manufacturing spec diameter is. Think I'll contact Fiocchi and see what they have to say. Actually, I've heard very good things about the consistency of 616's ignition properties.

WNCRob

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Say what you want, but I gave up on the cost savings realized by loading Fiocchi primers. Went back to Winchster's despite the increase in cost. The Fiochhi's DO have ignition problems (but never during a practice round) and DO measure a bit larger. The larger size didn't bother me, but the "CLICK vs. BANG" got very old. I finally gave away the remaining Fiocchi's I had left. Final answer.

20. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I'm just finishing up my third sleeve of Fiocci's. I've never had a misfire or any problem other than my supplier not being able to get them for a while. I use them in old style AA cases with 18gr Red Dot, 1 1/8- 7 1/2 shot and Claybuster AA wads, 1182fps on a chronograph. Summer and winter with no off sounding loads. Try them You will be happy with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
157 primers and fiocchi
do you have to use fiocchi primers with fiocchi hulls
fio 615 primers

fiocci primers in winter

primers for fiocchi hulls