1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Fiocchi Primers ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Titan Trap Team, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Does anyone have experience with Fiocchi primers. They are $99.00 per 5000 at Guns Unlimited, I would like to give them a try. Mark R.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have used a ton of them with no problems whatsoever. However there are some that say they have trouble with them in cold weather. I guess it's not cold enough down here in South Georgia for it to be a problem. Jackie B.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mark: I have shot 10000 of them without a problem. $99 for 5000 is also a good price. I just bought 5000 and they cost me $110. Ed

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought 5k of Fiocchi 616 primers and when they are gone I'm going back to Win 209's because of the weak sounding loads I have had with them.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

20 below chill today, 50 trargets and no misfires. I have used about 30 thousand or so over the years, and had a few bad ones, but no worse than any other brand.

And my 90T strikes light.

HM

6. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I've shot them as well at temps WELL below zero with zero problems. I use CLAYS in my 12 ga exclusively. In my skeet loads they get used with UNIQUE as well as Universal Clays. Again...ZERO problems.

Can't understand the complaints of weak sounding loads.

FN in MT

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My Handicap loads with 20 gr Green Dot seem OK but I had problems with 1 oz loads and 18 gr Red Dot.

8. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I shoot them, exclusively - and have for a few years now. I have NEVER experienced any types of problems, either in fit or consistency of ignition. Living in PA, I shoot in all "four seasons" - temperatures ranging from teens to nineties.

I would not hesitate to recommend Fiocchi primers to anyone........

9. win101trap

win101trap TS Member

Shot today in 8 degrees. No problems at all with Fiocchi Primers......

10. msmith

msmith Member

I have used over 30,000. No problems with alliant powders. I shot yesterday in 11 degrees and no problems. I will never buy Win or Rem primers again to their prices get more in line. Fiocchi primers are 1/3 the cost and work just as well. I even use the in the .410. Mike

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Some shooters blame the primer, it's not the primer in cold weather nor the powder, it's the wad, fiocchi and cheddites are fine even in subzero weather, not so with the wads, problems? look to the wads! incinerate em!

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Bought about 7,000 of these and used approx. 1,000 with Red Dot & Green Dot powders, wads were Versalite or Figure 8 Remington. No problems thus far. People have told me that Fiocchi primers a slightly larger and once you have seated one in your case then don't switch back, say to a Winchester primer. I've shot these in temps less than 10 degrees last 2 weeks with no problems. Does anyone know whether these primers are larger in diameter? My next trip to the basement, I'll mic a few to find out whether it's true or not. So far I would recommend use of Fiocchi's. Darrell

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Mark, bought my last10,000 Fiocchi's from GU after I ran out of Rems. Not a problem loading 1oz. loads with 700X DRXL-1 and hdc. with Green Dot and Fig.8's.

Steve

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had off sounding loads in colder weather using the Fiocchi 616 in certain loads. The worst appeared to be with Red Dot or Promo powder. Several different wads were tried, including the Originals and quality clones. The problem was there with all. Changing the primer cured the problem, so I doubt it was a wad issue. The only real wad issue I had was with the Dusters a few years back. The over powder cups were fracturing, due to some poor quality plastic they were using. Recovered wads from the off sounding loads with Fiocchi primers looked normal without any breakage.

Note, there were no misfires and the variations over a chronograph showed lower velocities for the off sounding loads. They were still fast enough to reach out and break a target, but the sound was not right. I generally use Winchester or Federal primers in the cold. The Rios have worked well also, but data is limited and they seem to raise pressures dramatically in some loads if you look at the available data.

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

The 5 guys I shoot with regularly and I are probably well over 50,000 of them by now without a problem.

in Anchorage, ALaska.

That should answer the cold weather issue....

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I loaded 500 handicap loads today with Fio. 616 primers. At $99, buy all you can. They are as good or better than any other primer I've used. But I don't shoot in cold weather.

17. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Thank you for all the response. Mark R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.