1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fiocchi primers-rio hulls-1100 shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lowhioverall, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowhioverall

lowhioverall TS Member

my usual load is 16 gr 700x - winchester wad - 1 oz shot. been using it in winchester and remington hulls with no problems noted. the book says the load is 1160-1175 fps with 8300-8600 pressure - a pretty light load. tried to load rio hulls but the primers fell out for about half of them. got some fiocchi primers 'cause they're a little bigger (they fit tight)- put the above load in and went shooting. suprise! in about 20 per-cent of the empties the fiocchi primers were backed out of the hull, some as much as 1/4 inch. the primers were still firmly secured in the primer pocket but stuck out. a friend suggested the pressures were too low. really? i don't think this would happen on a fixed breech gun. is the 1100 contributing to this situation? what's going on?

2. lowhioverall

lowhioverall TS Member

The book I refer to is the 2001 IMR handloaders guide. Specifically - WIN AA hull-WIN WW12SL wad - WIN 209 primer - 15.5 gr 700x=1145 fps/8200psi or 16.5 gr 700x=1195fps/9000psi (I extrapolated to get my numbers for 16 gr 700x which I think is ok in this case) and the same load with a Rem hull with 16 gr 700x=1160fps/8300psi

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Fiocchi 616 Primers were larger, the new 209 primers are not. Rio primers are larger. A Fiocchi 209 will back out of a Rio hull or any hull that has had a Rio primer in it when fired in a semi auto, sometimes even come out and fall down into the trigger. At least it did in my 1100.

DB

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

If you get this figured out let me know and I can set you up with a lot of Rio once fired shells. 1 penny a piece plus shipping.

Forrest

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Big Dave... Im thinking you mean the Fiocchi 615 primer. the 616 is a 209 primer.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Rio hull requires a different (Larger) primer than the standard 209. The RIO G-600 primer is a few thousandths larger than the average 209 and so are several others like the NobelSport and the Fiocchi 615. The Fiocchi 616 is a standard size 209 and will not work well in the RIO hull as you may have noticed. I would personally leave the RIO hulls in the trash and load something worthwhile. I have seen many RIO once fired that had displaced base wads, so be careful. You mentioned shooting an 1100, so a separated base wad could be quite risky indeed.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Weird...Im pretty sure my shooting buddy reloads Rio's with fiocchi 616's.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Quit reloading those junk shells. Keep on and wait for the accident to happen.

Don

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I must agree with BigDon on this.

When my girlfriend was shooting a 3901 I only reloaded STS's for her as it has been reported that rarely even some AA's may have a base was separation. Why take the chance?

For a semi-auto use the Remington hulls. If you really need something cheap then go with the Top Gun or Estate hulls load them once and pitch them. These hulls are free and very plentiful.

Don

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I only reload gun clubs...so I'm not worried. I should print out the pic of the rio hulls & show my buddy.

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

just had to post this ad from the PITA classifieds...

RIO Target Hulls FOR SALE: 1.25 cents each. Buyer pays actual shipping only. Will accept money order only. These are all ONCE FIRED Let me know how many you want!
    $ 1.25 cents each

what a boob.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

By the way, the base wad issue is not only with the RIO hulls. I have seen it with many similar Cheddite style hulls like the Kemen, Wolf, Mirage, etc. I only sectioned and took a picture of the RIO. They should all stay in the dumpster where they belong! I won't even shoot them when new. I had RIOs that sounded real off in the cold weather and they were. I put them over my chronograph and some of the bad ones went a little over 800 fps. They were supposed to be 1200. The best did a little over 1100 or so. That's not too unusual for cold weather, but 800fps is not acceptable. Add that problem to the migrating basewads and you have a loser!

Pat, do you mean that you should use the EXACT components EXACTLY as listed in the data? I think I read that somewhere before. :) I don't see how one could even BEGIN to substitute a Cheddite Hull for a Winchester or Remington AND then start swapping primers! They are quite different hulls and I would expect that the results would not be too good. I think I posted somewhere that there are some people that should NOT be reloading, at least not until they learn enough to keep themselves out of trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fiocchi 615 and 616 visual identification

fiocchi 615 primer

fiocchi 615 primer for sale