1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiocchi primer failures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longbowsmith, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longbowsmith

Longbowsmith Member

I recently switched to Fiocchi primers,mostly because of pricing.Had a primer fail to fire in the 1st hundred or two. Primer was hit but not very hard.

Thought maybe it was just a hard primer.After a couple hundred more I had 4 fail to fire,same thing,light hits.I took the gun(Beretta 680) down to Allem's and had him install a new hammer spring. Firing pin looked fine by the way.

Thought I was all set,but yesterday shooting in LV league I had another shell fail to fire.

Anyone else have problems with Fiocchi primers?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have loaded thousands of Fiocchis and haven't had a misfire that I can remember, shooting a variety of guns. I never had a problem. I would check your reloads. Maybe you are seating the primer a bit deep, or dishing the base of the shell. It takes a good push (or pull) to seat Fiocchis in Remington hulls the first time. Mark

3. Stermy

Stermy TS Member

I have shoot at least 20000 of them with no misfires.
    Had five or six new Federals the red white and blue ones misfire this year, they look like you are saying light hit.
    Last year had one miss fire all year and it was a new nitro 27. I shot it in every shotgun I own and it would not go off.

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use Fiocchi 616 primers. No misfires.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My 90T does not like them, 10% or more misfires. The same shells work fine in my 1100.

So I use Winchester in the 90T. minor pain, no biggie.

HM

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I've probably shot close to 20K of them through various Berettas and Benellis. never had one fail to light the first time.

Maybe they had a bad batch???

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

No, but have seen a lot of Beretta's lately "mis-firing" with lite firing pin hits.

I am on my 15,000 plus Fio 616 with out one mis-fire.

Shoot a BT 99 (1979 vintage)

8. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

My son and I have used about 20,000 without any issues, I am shooting an 1100 Competition Synthetic and he uses a model 11 Remington and a model 887.. Larry

9. Kolarshtr

Kolarshtr TS Member

I bought a thousand to try out because of the price. Had one misfire. Back to Winchesters.

10. oz

oz Active Member

I switched to cheddites years back. never had a misfire.

11. arend003

arend003 Member

Have used over 20000 Fiocchi's with out one misfire.

12. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

i have noticed that on some shells (federal) the primers can be pushed in to far
    easily that would account for light hits

13. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Many thousands, never, NEVER a FTF,,
    Have had issues getting them into remington 410 hulls,
    And I shoot them in many different guns and gauges.

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Literally went thru 1000's and never had a problem

15. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Close to 35K with maybe one or two misfires. Rotated the shell in the chamber and they went off the second time.
    Bought 5 flats of Federal Gold Medal and started to use Federal 209 primers for their reloads. Out of my first 300 I've had about 5 misfires so far. Not very impressed with Federal.

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Haven't used many Fiocchi but have tried just about everything available to re-loaders, ie Rem.-Fed.-Win.-Herters-Noble-PMC-RWS-CCI -Chedites etc. Worst ones were Win. so I just don't use them. I shoot a pump most of the time but have shot SBTs & O&Us. Does your loader seat the primer with a ram inside pushing down on the base with the bottom fully supported?? Some hold the rim and can (as per oregunner) "dish" the head in a little and that will cause light hits. Will they fire in a pump or semi-auto with a straight line firing pin??? Ross Puls

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have problems with Fiocchi primers but I punch holes in them with my XTs...2 or 3 of every 25 I load . They blow garbage into the actions and burn pits in the firing pins (and I really don't care that Joe Schmoe's gun doesn't do that).

It's a gun-specific issue: some guns luv'em and other guns don't. If you don't like the way they work for you just switch brands. There is no rule that says that every primer made will work equally well in every gun or in every hull.

Every time somebody posts they have a problem with one primer or another, a dozen guys jump up and say how wonderful those primers are and how they've loaded 60 gazillion of them without one problem. I guess they can't pass up a chance to try to make you feel inadequate that your gun doesn't play well with their pet primer.

Keller

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree with Keller. Some times it can come down to the balance of the pressures between the main spring, or hammer spring, and the firing pin return spring. All it takes is a little powder, or gunk in the firing pin hole, and the firing pin will not move forward freely enough to dent the primer. Before you blame the primer, if it is seated at the correct depth, make sure both springs are new, and the firing pin hole is clear of dirt. What happens over time with reloads is the primer holes in the shells become so enlarged from primers being set slightly past flush with the brass, that when the shell ignites, it pushes the primer back out of the hole into the receiver face, allowing some unburnt powder to be blown back through the firing pin hole. That is the reason why you see unburnt powder inside the receiver, and behind it in the trigger mechanism area. Jon

19. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

I have used the 616's for several years and never had a problem shooting them through the perazzi or browning.Bought a 682 beretta a while back and had misfires right from the git go_Ordered new pins and springs,had them installed by a reputable smith and it still won't shoot em'.Go figure!By the way,the same misfires will shoot in the Perazzi!I still like the primers but not to shoot in the Beretta..........

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have shot a ton of the fiocchis since the U S primers went crazy in price. Shot from an older BT 99. Loaded on my MEC 9000-G.
    No FTF yet.
    Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.