1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIOCCHI 616 PRIMERS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KK, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KK

KK TS Member

I am just started using some Fiocchi 616 primers for my reloads and I have had several people tell me that they have heard horror stories about them giving up and blowing back through the anvil and that the primers are also oversized and will swell the pocket on Double AA, STS, or any American hull enough to ruin them for reloading them again with any of the American made primers. Most of these reports seem to be "I heard" type second hand information. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of any problems with the Fiocchi's or Cheddites blowing out or swelling primer pockets? Kirby

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Once you use a Fiocchi 616 primers you will need to use them always as they make the primer pocket larger. I don't use Cheddiates so I can't tell you.Jeff

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

What does it matter...who can afford the American primers?

Forrest

4. richrob

richrob TS Member

Can only speak for the FIOs, but after about 7,000 no problems. I haven't tried a "standard" primer but why would I? $90 a sleeve compared to $140? -Rich

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Fiocchi previously made primers that were a bit larger than WW, Rem. Fed., CCI, etc. The ones they make now are the same size as WW, etc. I believe the first were numbered 615 and the newer ones 616, but I'm not certain of the numbers. Cheddites are identical in size to WW, except one is a few thousandths longer than the other. They are also nearly identical in heat range to the WW. I use Rex powder and have inter-changed the two. Don't be too quick to judge by a name, I believe you'll find Fiocchis are manufactured near Springfield, MO.

Buz

WW209
    <a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ched.209
    <a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3006.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Never have a problem with Fiocchi since started using them over year and half , and used win primer in the same hull after using Fio's, also no problem, Peter.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" What does it matter...who can afford the American primers?"

Rio primers cost me about $100 for 5000...

Winchesters cost me about $150 for 5000...

That's a difference of $10/thousand or 1 penny per shell.

Why load with inconsistent primers that there is no data for when I can use the better stuff for an extra penny. Who can afford NOT to use American primers?

Morgan

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

I have heard a rumor that cheddite makes winchester primers,if so, im sure they dont want this getting out.

Bill

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have loaded over 10,000 Rio primers with no problem, they do make the primer hole larger and Winchester and other primers will not work, but they give consistent results and I am very satisfied.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The RIO is my favorite primer. It ALWAYS goes bang, and cold weather does not affect it. Data is available, but one has to look. If, like me, you use oddball/cheap wads and powder, you have to extrapolate. I use Fed 209A data on the primers. I don't load to max pressures. I leave that to the factories. I don't shoot factory ammo. (Unless it is free)

11. JohnP

JohnP Member

I tried Cheddites a little over a year ago and couldn't get the primers to seat well. I have never had any issue with WW or Rem. I gave almost the entire sleeve of Cheddites away and will always use Rem or WW from now on. I don't know why some people have so much trouble and others seemed to thing they're all the same. Not the same for me and as mentioned above, it's not worth a penny for something that doesn't work as well. If they work for you, go for it, if they don't stay with what does...

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"The RIO is my favorite primer. It ALWAYS goes bang, and cold weather does not affect it. Data is available, but one has to look. If, like me, you use oddball/cheap wads and powder, you have to extrapolate."

You're braver than I if you trust to load "extrapolated" data. I've had some Rio data tested and the results were "surprising". Take this example from the Rio website data table:
    <center>[​IMG]</img></center>

First, one should wonder why the factory would publish data that is already over pressure. No other data tables I've ever used contained out-of-spec data. Second, when I submitted this load for professional testing, it delivered pressures in excess of 13,000 psi shell after shell. Come to learn from industry sources that the primers are so inconsistent that they can vary by 3000 psi from lot to lot. Even when aiming for 1500 psi under SAAMI max, an "extrapolated" load could end up 1500 psi over.

Morgan

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

13000+ and not a misfire. The Fiocchi primer does its job. I can't tell the difference between shooting them and the Remington primers. Remington can keep their overpriced components as far as I'm concerned.

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just opened my 6th sleeve of Fiocchi 616 primers and have yet to have a dud or misfire. I have used both Remington and Winchester primers in the same hulls I used Fiocchi's and again experienced no problems. I'm still using sleeves I bought for $89, will be sorry to see them used up.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have loaded about 15,000 with the Fiocchi 616's. No problems at all.

Like Jerry, I get some primer punctures with Cheddites in a K-80 but the Cheddites work fine in a BT-99 - go figure.

In the big scheme of things I tend to agree with Morgan. A $.25/box "premium" for using the Winchesters seems like a small savings indeed for an activity that costs me over $10,000 a year to enjoy. It represents a savings of less than 2% in my shooting expenses (based on 25,000 rounds a year). I have decided to go back to Winchesters with my next purchase.

Don

16. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I just opened my 15th sleeve of Fiocchi 616 primers and have yet to have a dud or misfire. I have used both Federal 209A and Winchester primers in the same hulls I used Fiocchi's and again experienced no problems. I'm still using sleeves I bought for $79 and still have 25 k left. BRGII

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Why load with inconsistent primers that there is no data for when I can use the better stuff for an extra penny. Who can afford NOT to use American primers?

Morgan

I have yet to have anybody prove to me that reloading with premium components produced ONE more dead target compared to reloading with "value based" components.

If you use an established recipe what's the problem? I've had no problem getting data for FIO primers, if i was in doubt i contacted the powder manufacturer.

I'm reloading international trap practice rounds for $2.75 per box using reclaimed shot - that is a major savings compared to factory shells and makes a HUGE difference in the shoot budget.

Admittedly, when it comes to competition we only use factory shells.

18. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Loaded fiocchi for the past 10 years,no problems....and remember cheddites are made in FRANCE!!!!....nuff said?

19. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

After reading all the above threads, I measured Win 209, Cheddite, and Fiochhi 616 primers with a decent dial caliper and they all measured .243"-.244". That doesn't surprise me because my hulls will accept all of them without falling out or not seating properly. I have used them in all four gauges with hulls of various vintages and all are fine. There was a time when Fiochhi's were, in fact, larger and Win 209's would no longer seat firmly, but that was in times gone by. It seems that personal bias will always raise it's head in matters as this. Win's are made in USA but are blatantly overpriced, Cheddites are made in France, God Forbid, and Fiochhi's are of Italian origin but apparently made in USA....take your choice and be assured that those misses most likely cannot be traced to the primer type. Smoke all you can.

Larry

20. nipper

nipper TS Member

Do you know for a fact winchesters are made in the usa or just assuming they are??

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

filoochi 616 primers

fiocchi 616

fiocchi 616 primers

fiocchi 616 reloads
fiocchi ammo keeps blowing primera
fiochi 616 primer
heat range of fiocchi primer
problems with fiocchi 616 primers on 366