1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiocchi 616 primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biggunone, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggunone

biggunone Member

I am changing from rem 209 primers to fi0cchi 616 primers,and 700x powder to promo powder,going into rem gun club hull.Like to know are these fiocchi primers reliable. 1 1/8 1200 fps fio616 promo fig8 19.5 10,600,thats my new load,and also how is this powder [promo].Thanks for any input.

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

I've gone thru 25,000 of them no problems. Recobs has them in stock at decent prices.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've been shooting Fiocchi primers and Promo powder for the last 3 years. I have no complaints and encourage anyone that wants to save a few $$ on components to try them. My load is STS or Gun Club hulls/Fiocchi primer/18 grains of Promo/Downrange XL wad and 1 - 1/16 oz. of Lawrence magnum shot. I use that load for everything from 16 yd. to Hdcp. (25 yd) to sporting clays. Nice shooting load. Ed

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

The only problem I had with using Fiocchi primers in Gun Clubs is that I could not go back to Winchester primers (primers were a loose fit).

But I have used about 20,000 Fiocchi's without incident in brass base hulls.

You will like Promo. Just buy as much as you can of one lot number as it varies quite a bit. My favorite load (singles and doubles) is 16.5-17 gr. in a AA or STS hull with 1 1/8 of shot and either the Windjammer or AA wad. I stopped getting anal about powder charges and use whatever bushing gets me into the above range.

Don Verna

5. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Just for the heck of it, I'd like to add that I use Fiocchi, Win and Cheddite primers interchangably in the same hulls (STS&GC)with no loosening problems. It is true that in the 90's or probably pre-615 Fiocchis, they were a couple of thousanths larger, causing the problem Don refers to. I haven't seen that in my loading for quite a few years. That's my experience.

Larry

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Fiocchi primers also have very hard primer cups compared to the other primers. They can be very unkind to some firing pins.

MK

7. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

They work great in my 3200 and DynaTrap II. I have a 870 and a 101 that average 2 or 3 FTFs per 25, but they always fire on the second try. Buy lightly until you know you won't have issues. pg

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shot Fiocchi primers for about a year or so. I had several shells that did not go off due to the hardness of the primer anvil. The firing pin would just barely dent the primer and the shell would not go off. I could open the gun, take the shell out, put it back in and fire it again and it would usually go off. I also had a bit of a problem with them when shooting Promo in colder weather. I would sometimes get a very weak sounding load. After the batch of Fiocchi's I had ran out, I returned to shooting Cheddites and have had zero problems since. For the small difference in price between the Fiocchi and Cheddite, I prefer to stay with Cheddite. My Promo load is an STS hull, Cheddite primer, Downrange XL1 1oz. wad, 18.5gr Promo, and 450gr. 81/2 shot. I shoot these for singles and first shot on doubles. For handicap I prefer REX II powder and a Versalite wad... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The only real trouble I had with them is poor cold weather performance in some loads. I test my loads by putting a half box in the freezer and keeping the other half at room temp. I fire them over a cronograph and see what they do. I do the same with factory shells as well. Not all shells/loads are created equally. I have had more cold weather issues with Fiocchi 616 primers than any other. There are several loads that they will work in, so there is only one real way to know and that is test them. If you live in a warm weather area, then it's a moot point.

10. JRW

JRW Member

I have had alot of success with 616 primers, all of a sudden my Infinity has trouble with them alot of FTF. Most of my problems are with Federal reloads. Both top guns and gold medals. I have found that if I try then again they all fire. Jerry

11. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I have used 25,000 with no problems.

Arnie

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Good advice from pg. Buy a 1000 and see if you have issues.

Larry, they were the new 616's. I had about a dozen AA primers (out of a bucket of reloads - 500) fall out of GC hulls after they had been loaded with 616's. I had some 616's on hand and they were a tighter fit. I wonder if I got a batch of slightly oversize 616's (or under sized AA's) that caused the initial problem as I never used the older 615's? My gf likes the GC hulls so I had to buy more Fiocchi's to load them up. I am too cheap to throw out GC's after 3 reloads - LOL.

Don Verna

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have loaded 40-50K and have had no issues. Hot, cold does not seem to matter. I mostly load 20 gauge rem STS with universal clays and now alliant 20/28. For 12 gauge I load Clays and Rem STS/Nito hulls. I also use them with AAHS 28 (universal clays / alliant 20/28)and .410's (WC820). I don't shoot a lot of 12 gauge anymore (primarily shoot the other game- don't really need the 12 gauge :) ) Maybe the higher pressures of the 20 gauge help prevent bloopers I duuno.

I shoot in Montana and we shoot down to 0 degrees. Sometimes I remember to bring my shells in from the car, sometimes I don't.

Edit to add - all my o/u's are Berettas. I have not had more than 2 or 3 FTF in the last 4 years of shooting. I think one or two were with my DT10- which has since been worked on and I've had no repeats (that was a failure to reset for the second bbl using 20 gauge ammo - not a primer strike failure.)

john

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I bought 25000 from Bargain ammunition in California and then bought 10000 cheddites and used them interchangably and the only problem I had was with the Fiocchi's in cold weather at dove shoots in the morning.(28 to 35 degrees is cold weather in South Georgia) I had several failure to fires so layed them to the side and shot some new shells the rest of the morning. That afternoon was in the low 70's and had no more problem with the ftf Fiocchi's. I have never had a problem with loose pocket primers except with Nobles. Jackie B.

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I too had weak off sounding loads in cold weather using Fiocchi primers. Switched to Cheddite primers, problem solved.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Last winter using Clays powder and Fio 616's I had a lot of bloopers. I don't know if it was the powder or the primers or both. But, I switched to Cheddites. I will see if it makes a difference this winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are fiochi 616 primers hard on firing pins

fiocchi 616 cold

fiocchi 616 primers

fiochi 616 primer

problems with fiocchi primers

retailers that stock fiocchi primers