1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finishing/Refinishing Stocks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Anyone with knowledge on finishing wood stocks. I want to get a really deep high luster finish. I have used Minwax to stain and poly to finish with OK resultd, but not what I'm looking for...any ideas? Thanks WC

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Send it to Larry and have him do it. Mash on the above link. The nicest high gloss finish I have ever seen on a stock set and his prices are very reasonable. You won't be disappointed, trust me... Just my personal experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. hcopd

hcopd TS Member

I have seen a stock finished in automotive clear coat it turned out really good.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dan. I'm gonna try those guys next time I get a less than attractive stock.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

First- fill the pores in the wood. Put a few coats of finish on and sand back down. Sanding the top down will not touch the finish in the pores. Keep doing that until pores are filled and flat with the rest of the surface. Then polish the finish with a fine grit automobile compound. If you want, a coat of automotive clear coat can be applied after the finish is polished.

Pat Ireland

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack.... I'll tell you this, he does the finest job of refinishing I have ever had done, and I've had a few. His prices are more than reasonable for the job, and the checkering comes out like brand new. His turn around time, for a MX3 stock set was 3 weeks to the day I sent it to him. He is a really fine guy to talk to as well..... Just another "good deal" out there for us trapshooters provided by Larry..... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.