1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FINISHED - Restoring the interior of Perazzi case

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Originally this thread started as a plea for assistance. I got quite a few suggestions and decided to tackle the project. So I changed the thread title and have posted my progress and some photos. Hats off to SteveW for his able assistance and knowledge.

I just acquired a Perazzi TM1L Special and it came with the original case. The exterior of the case is in superb condition. The hinges and locks are all fully functional. I know this gun spent a lot of time in a safe so am not surprised at the condition of the exterior.

The interior is another story. Like everything that ages, its showing signs. The foam backing on the interior lining is drying our and creating a 'sand-like' yellow substance which leaves deposits everywhere. The glue in some places has dried out to the point that it is almost rock-hard. I want to restore this case and wonder if there is anyone out here who can do it ? OR I can DIY if I can find replacement liners ? OR can I remove the original liners, clean off the backing and re-glue them inside ? Pics are below.

Any suggestions or help are welcome.

Gene in Illinois

sseitz007_2008_01044.jpg

sseitz007_2008_01042.jpg

sseitz007_2008_01045.jpg

sseitz007_2008_01046.jpg

2. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

I have one in the same condition and would like too know as well.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's very common.

You can take out the blue fabric lining, wash it with color safe detergent, hang dry.

Clean out the old foam, brush it, use spray on adhesive to lay new foam and lining. Don't stretch the fabric when you lay it back, and don't over spray.

Upholstery shop can do it for you. Or you can buy the correct foam from them if you can't find supply.

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Steve W:

Thanks for your reply. A couple questions:

1. When you peel out the fabric, do I scrape off any residue on the fabric BEFORE washing it ? If I don't, my wife might have something to say about ruining the washing machine!!!

2. I assume you are saying I can buy replacement foam padding at a fabric store. Any suggestion fro thickness ?

3. OK. Assume I've got the padding. I spray adhesive in the case and apply the padding first, right ? Allow to dry and then spray adhesive again and lay the now cleaned and dried fabric over it ?

Is there a way to repair cracks in the plastic interior ?

Thx

Gene in Illinois

5. Steve W

Hi Gene,

1) Clean the residue on fabrics as much as you can, rinse it in water before you wash it with color safe detergent, I hand wash them, don't use washing machine. Certainly no need to upset your wife.

2) Replacement foam are available at upholstery supply store, Joann, or upholstery repair shop. I use 1/4" thick.

3) I use 3M spay adhesive available at Home Depot. Brush the inner case to clean off residue before spray, foam padding first, dry or damp doesn't matter before you lay fabric. But remember not to over spay. Don't stretch the fabric. And keep the case open, facing up, don't let fabric fall off before they dry, or they'll be messy.

4) Small cracks on the inner shell does not matter much, you can try using another plastic piece to glue on the crack then cover the area with same color felt / fabric to protect your gun.

I did one case years ago, now I send them to my gardener's wife who works in a upholstery shop, she charges me $20 for interior work, and $15 for replacing lock hasp. (plus material).

Have fun and good luck on the project.

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

$20 to replace the interior is a heckuva good price IMO. I would pay that any day.

7. Steve W

Here it is.

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I got my foam ,material and spray adhesive from Cloth World. I changed the design of the interior using thin plywood. Maybe I can take a picture and post it. I did it about 10 years ago. I have done a Browning A5? and a cheap Walmart long case also. Not that hard to do. Ray

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thought I'd share some thoughts after working on this for a few days. First, it's not as easy as some say. The hardest part is getting the darn adhesive off the inside. Second, take your time. Do it in an area that can get messy.

I peeled off the blue felt-like fabric carefully. In a few spots the glue had hardened to the point I had to gingerly cut the fabric away from the foam. Once you have all the fabric out, put each piece under running luke-warm water and gently rub the foam off. No kidding, it comes right off. I suggest you either do it outside or in a sink that has a strainer. Then, I laid mine flat in the sink and washed each piece with Dawn and a tooth brush. Not rubbing hard, just enough to get any dirt or remaining foam off. Spread out a couple old bath towels and lay the pieces flat to dry. They will dry in a few hours. SteveW suggested NOT hanging as they can stretch. I agree.

One caution. When taking the fabric out of the case, I had a few spots where the old glue didn't want to let go. Use a razor knife to carefully cut the adhesive. Once you get the fabric out of the case, you can peel away the old adhesive from the underside of the fabric. I have one area about dime-sized where the fabric tore. I can repair it with fabric repair tape from Joann's and don't think it'll show.

Next, tackle the inside. I tried to find something that would quickly emulsify the glue and not harm the plastic liner but came up blank. I had guys suggest Acetone, Denatured Alcohol, WD40 etc. DON'T USE ACETONE. I settled on something called Goo-Gone in a spray bottle and the stuff is a gel. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-Spray-Gel-12oz

BEFORE using the Goo Gone, get a couple of brass brushes and use them to scrape off as much of the dried foam as possible. Again, either do this outside or in a place where a mess doesn't matter. The dried foam does seem to go everywhere.

Next, spray the Goo Gone on a section, close the case and let it sit overnight. The Goo Gone loosens the bond and you can then scrape off the old glue. It's messy and takes time, but if you do a section at a time, it'll work. I used a sharp putty knife to scrape. When nearly all the glue is scraped off, you can use WD40 to clean up the residue. Before I put the new foam in, I will clean the entire inside of the case with alcohol to remove any residue from the Goo Gone or WD40.

NOTE: Be aware that the interior plastic is a blow-molded solid piece that is hot glued to the exterior shell. As you are scraping, it's easy to puncture the interior shell, so just be careful when working at the edges or in a spot that has little support, like the barrel section ramp.

I have one more section to do on the top inside and hope to get that done tonight. Then, I go to Joann's fabric store for the foam. And then to Ace for some 3M spray adhesive.

If this case didn't go with a nice vintage gun, I'm not sure I'd do it. <:)

Hope this helps. More later. Will post some pics later.

Gene in Illinois

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Here are some pics of the case as it is right now.

First is a pic of the interior fabric after removal and cleaning.

sseitz007_2008_010446.jpg

Next is a pic of the interior top showing the old dried out glue after it's been sprayed with Goo Gone. It's been sitting overnight.

sseitz007_2008_010455.jpg

Next is a pic of the interior top. This half has been cleaned. Looks pretty good. Lots of elbow grease and patience. <:)

sseitz007_2008_010456.jpg

Gene in Illinois

11. Steve W

JFYI, Joann has 1/4" foam padding on sale 50% off this week.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Now that you are in the know, I can send you some that will put you in the business

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Here's a photo of the completely cleaned case. All glue and foam removed - finally.

sseitz007_2008_010461.jpg

Gene in Illinois

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

wow. NIce job

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Gene and Steve, one trick from the auto upholstery world is to attach the fabric to the foam BEFORE you lay it into the case. You lay everything flat on the bench with the fabric spread out exactly as you want it. Then you fold it back on top of itself and spray half of the fabric and foam...lay the fabric down carefully as it will stick immediately. You only get one chance at this! Then fold the other side back and spray the fabric and foam.

Now you will use a razor "pizza cutter" from the fabric store to trim the foam edges away from the fabric. Last is putting it into the plastic case with either contact adhesive or the spray adhesive.

You want to get 3M-90 for this job, as it has a higher temperature range than 3M-77. You can use the same stuff to attach the fabric/foam to the case. I get 3M-90 at the local automotive paint supply store.

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Progress report:

I'm a bit disappointed. Last night I decided to dry fit the fabric pieces into the case. Despite hand washing and lay-flat drying, some of the fabric pieces did shrink. Specifically the piece for the top that has "PERAZZI" in red on it and the piece for the barrel section. The shrinkage is almost 1/2" at the end and I can't see a way to disguise it.

So I decided to get new fabric at Joann's - I was thinking maybe a deep red or maroon. Today, I went to the Joann's fabric store near me today and found some fabric. BUT, color choices were nil. The fabric I got is a dark tan. It is upholstery fabric, in that it has a bonded backing on it. Cost was $9.00.

OK, so I asked the girl where the 1/4" foam is and she tells me they NEVER carry 1/4" foam. So all I got was the fabric. Turns out I may not use it

Shopping on-line I found 1/4" closed cell foam at:

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net

The same place also has fabrics in a dark red / maroon.

So, I'll put the project on hold for a few days until I order what I need.

More to come.

Gene in Illinois

17. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Avaldes, you read my mind. I have been thinking of that very procedure. I was thinking it would make for a cleaner appearance if the fabric were also tucked around the edges. Thx for the insight. I'll get the 3M-90 tomorrow. I bought some Elmer's spray adhesive today, and then had second thoughts.

Thanks again.

Gene in Illinois

18. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Glad it helped. I learned a few tricks from a very talented friend of mine.

-Aaron

19. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Progress report.

Last night I went to the http://www.onlinefabricstore.net website and found some 1/4" foam and some fabric. I decided to go with a blue that is close to the original color. It'll be here in 5-7 days.

I also took the tan fabric that I got at Joann's and did a 'practice' set of cuts. Here's a pic.

sseitz007_2008_010471.jpg

Notes: Use very good scissors. Take your time. Measure twice and cut once.

I'll likely use these pieces for templates when I get the new blue fabric. Remember the original fabric shrunk.

Also last night I used some J. B. Weld to repair a crack in one corner of the case. It seems to have worked and even though it's not a super neat job, it'll be covered so I don't care.

sseitz007_2008_010472.jpg

Tonight, I also tried a test application of spray adhesive to a piece of foam and fabric I had. Notes: Do not 'squeegee' the fabric after applying to the foam - you'll squeeze the adhesive toward the end and then your fingers get wet and if you touch the fabric, it's ruined.

More to come.

Gene in Illinois

20. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

New Update:

I received the 1/4" foam I ordered on-line. The smallest amount I could order is 60"x72" - enough to do a few cases. Here's a pic of the roll:

sseitz007_2008_010473.jpg

And here's a photo of the edge, to give you an idea of the thickness. This is a closed cell foam - very firm.

a
    sseitz007_2008_010474.jpg

So, last night I cut the foam pieces to fit the case. I used Cutco shears - sharp and controllable. I also used the tan fabric pierces I had cut as templates. I purposely cut the foam a little large and then trimmed as needed. The results aren't laser perfect, but they will suffice for me.

sseitz007_2008_010475.jpg

And now, I await delivery of the fabric I ordered.

Gene in Illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi iron on decals