1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Fingerprinting Guns**

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ismah, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I just read that guns made in Israel are fingerprinted ballistically before they are sold, and that this information is embedded with the registration number of the firearm so that any bullet fired from that gun anywhere in the world could be matched to its owner. Haven't made my mind up if I like the idea or not but it's worth some thought.

2. 100straight

100straight Member

So, when one of these guns is stolen and used to kill someone they can find the original owner, but not the criminal, right? Oh, yeah, I see the usefulness in that....

Mark

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Guess you can't change a barrel or firing pin. or passing a rat tail file thru a barrel

Phil Berkowitz

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It requires gun registration to make that work. And as we have witnessed, gun registration is way too tempting for gov.org and the anti's to use as a confiscation list.

As far as the usefulness of it, Maryland requires all new handguns being sold to have a shell casing furnished to the police. This is so a registry is created that can trace shell casings from crime scenes back to the firearm (and as mentioned above, the original owner, but not necessarily the criminal).

The problem is, there has been only one known case of this law actually being used to solve a crime. It's basically a bloated bureaucracy wasting money that could be used to provide more useful law enforcement tools or training.

But good luck trying to get anti-gun politicians to understand that.

5. Avatar

This "fingerprinting" has been used all my life by the prosecution's experts to show that a particular slug came from a particular gun. I won't go so far as to say it's junk science, but the tendency to believe that it's an exact science is dangerous.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And in that concept it works.

But when used as a database, it's proven to not justify the time and expense for the results returned. Law enforcement can put the money and manpower to better uses.

Unless, of course, you are an anti-gunner wanting an excuse - any excuse no matter how unworkable - to register guns.

7. willing

willing Member

Wasn't this tried in Cal?

Bill

8. ismah

ismah Member

I guess I'm not smart enough to figure out how it works. How could you fingerprint an Uzi? Don't they fire around a thousand rounds a minute? Does each round have it own private imprint? A mass produce barrel has its individual markings? There must be some science to it that is beyond my brain power.

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

In CA they are just waiting ot implement the Microstamping portion of a law Arnold signed before he quit.

Only problem,,, it doesn't work and is so easy to defeat it is rediculous. Literally two seconds on a felt wheel and the stamp is gone.

It is just another way for liberals to attach something more to gun ownership so we won't want them anymore.

I personally think we need to serial# liberals.

When you consider that every prepetrator since Tim McVey was a Lib or Muslim. I think my idea is better, and it would danmn sure be more effective.

It pains me when I see Sean Hannity not even willing to acknowledge that all of the perps are democrat liberals when he could easily do it simply because it is true..

Why is when one of their own offends, they want to punish Law abiding gun owners instead of their own people.?

Time to start making our voice heard a little more loudly than has been the norm.

I'm telling you that any time I hear somone spouting off about gun control I jump directly into their shit! They are fools all, and in most cases are traitors as well.

They want to use "Racist" as their end all word. I use "traitor" as mine.

See how it works for you? If we don't confront these assholes to their face they will eventually win.

Randy

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm with you Randy, and do the same thing

11. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

This whole idea feeds the thought process of blaming the gun instead of the criminal. Does anyone actually think a criminal gives a damn about any of this nonsense? When guns are grown like finger pads then you can fingerprint them. Micro-stamping firing pins is another failed attempt at stupidity. Anyone can sand, grind or file it off in seconds and it wouldn't speak and say who fired it anyway.

No one on the face of this earth can say with certainty if someone was gut shot by a Perazzi or a Mossberg. Think about that and you can see it's absolute nonsense to think fingerprinting guns is a science or a pile of Liberal Demo-crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.