1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finger prints on gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pgaphillip, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

I brought a few shotguns in to get looked at and some stock work done at a gunsmith at Gander Mtn. He talked me into cutting the lengths of my stocks. I know very bad decision . My question is I do not know what was on his hands when he touched the barrels, but it left finger prints that I can not get off my barrel. Would please like some help. And if you need to you can grill me for my Gander decision.
    Thanks Dan P.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Are the prints white in color? (the color of steel). He could have been playing with Navel Jelly or Muratic acid prior, and had not washed his hands well enough.

It's highly unlikely and cleaning solutions or lubes had an effect on the bluing. Bluing is a controled oxidation, to remove it, a type of acid is needed.

If the prints appear to be raised above the service, he may have had some type of epoxy on his fingers and transferred it to the metal where it dried. As an example...super gluing dowels into the old scews holes to install a recoil pad after cutting the stock. Glue on the fingers>>>then touching the gun.

Doug

3. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

The finger prints are dark in color. When I wipe down the gun with oil. They disappear, and then reappear later. Is there a product that will take theses off.

4. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

Ask the guy that did it to fix it....He's only one of a few people that know where his hands have been.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Some people have naturally corrosive sweat and don't know it. It has multiple causes. Google <i>sweat rust</i> or <I>corrosive sweat</I> or read this:
    <center><I>What Causes Corrosive Sweat</I></center>

Keller

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Take a piece of #00000 steel wool with a little oil and see of the steel wool rubs it out. No harm will come to the bluing. Just don't get to crazy.

I agree with the above post...take it back and ask Gander to remove the prints. Being finger prints, it would be hard to deny that they were not yours.

Doug

7. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

It was a while ago I should have brought them back right away but, it maybe worth a try. The problem is I don't think I want Gander to be away where near my guns. Of all the posts that I have ever read here, no one has ever said, "Bring your guns to Gander Mtn. for a great job." To be honest I trust most people on this site a little more.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As I recall, GM contracted work to local gunsmiths who worked in house.

It's not like they were minimum wage laborers...

9. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

I can almost understand the finger prints. It was the cutting of my stocks to kids sizes that really bothered me. Sorry if I offended the gm people. It was just one person.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

People have stocks cut all the time. If cutting is required for children, buy a junk stock and have it cut instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

finger prints on gun

remove finger prints from gun stock