1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally seeing baby wood ducks from box

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have had Woodduck boxes for a long time, I have three Boxes on the lake behind my house.

I have seen hundreds of hens over time go in and out but never have seen the babies come out.

Well, this morning I was having coffee on the patio and saw 8 come out of one of the boxes. I have the boxes in about 2 feet of water so they landed, or should say, bounced comfortably in the water.

pretty cool stuff

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Got pics? Sounds like pretty cool stuff.

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

No pics, I was to involved watching the occurance and forgot to grab my camera.

Woody's are real skiddish and vary rarely see the little ones at all after they come out.

It is so cool to watch the Woody hens come in at warp 10 bank hard left and hit the hole in the box. I have seen con trails off their wing tips a time or two when they make that last second banking manuver to line up with the hole.

I see Mallard ducklings all the time but very rare on woodies. In fact we have a pair of Mallard Hens that have made our lake front their home.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

cool- we have that happen with goslings sometimes-

Gene

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a wood duck box in his pond, and the ducklings came out about a month ago. We only found out because we found 2 lost ducklings wandering about the yard in the long grass. Never did find the mother or the rest of the ducklings. We think they may have gone to another pond in the back of his property, or to a neighbor's pond.

We put the ducklings in his pond, and they skittered across and up the bank under the blackberries, and that was the last we saw of them.

6. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

My neighbor built a box on top of his wood duck box that he puts a video camera in, the video is very cool, he also knows from the video feed when they hatch so he sets up another camera as soon as they hatch to catch them leaving the box, usually very soon after they hatch. The video of them leaving the box is hilarious. they jump about 12' right on to the ground, take a bounce, jump up and run to the hen. Then they walk to the creek about 1/2 mile away, I live between this neighbor and the creek. The reason I know they walk that far is kind of a sad story..... Last summer I looked out the kitchen window one morning to see a hen wood duck chasing my dog around my yard. I ran out there to see what was going on and my dog had killed one of the ducklings. I locked him up and watched as she ran off with the rest of them. My wife was not very happy with the dog... Neither was I!!