1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally registered

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Feb 14, 2011
    After 2 years of trap, I finally joined ATA and plan to complete my first registered shoot this weekend. I figured I'd try it for a year and see if I like this aspect of the sport. Hopefully this is a positive experience. If so, I might even go to the state shoot.

David in PA
  2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    Welcome aboard!

Train right, shoot well, and enjoy the fellowship of fellow shooters.
  3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

May 15, 2006
    Enjoy Dave…

Please don't limit your experience to just the smaller ATA events, make the PA State too. Mandatory fun! There's the MD state in Thurmont and the VA State in Winchester too. Not that there’s anything wrong with the smaller ATA events—they are a great means to learn the ropes and establish a classification.

Print out the rule book and become familiar with it.

If you'd like to join up for some larger shoots send a PM and let me know. When the time comes we can squad together if you'd like and I can introduce you to many.

I generate a schedule for a 500 mile radius around north central Maryland each year that I'd share with you if you'd like... all the 2013 dates aren't published yet but will be by early spring.

Let me know.

Guy Babin
  4. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I just registered too after a couple of years of duffing it.
    When things start up in MD I'm in.
    Been practicing at Carney and Loch Raven.
    Thought about NSSA, but.......nah.....

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Welcome and good luck. You will enjoy the competition and friendships you will form. I have met so many great people from across this Country, Canada and Austrailia since joining the ATA. I hope you have a great experience.

Again, good luck and break 'em all.
  6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Pretty much did just that last year with the intention of going to the Ohio state shoot. Started in March, went to as many shoots as I could, forced myself to go to both days of the Zone shoot (was intimidated by how many folks would be there) and finally made it to the Ohio state shoot. I frankly shot terrible most of the year, I put too much pressure to perform well on myself. Funny thing is though, looking back at all the pictures and videos I took it's the great people I remember and smile about.

Do the best you can but don't worry about it, you ain't gonna make a living at this. Have fun, shake hands with everyone you don't know, pet the dogs, flirt with the babes, be a kid in a candy store. Allow yourself to be overwhelmed, they are amazing days.
  7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!!!!

I began, again, in 2011 after a thirty year hiatus. I jumped in and shot my state shoot, the Grand in Sparta, and the Dixie Grand in Florida. Shot well and shot awful...enjoyed every minute!

Best advice I can give...get yourself some of those adhesive name tags and write, "First Year ATA" on them. Wear one every day you are at an event. Smile, shake hands, enjoy the circus, and keep a journal! Have fun! Martinpicker
  8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ditto, Martinpicker. Don't be shy. Ask questions and who the top shooters are in your area so you can watch them shoot. You'll learn a lot.

I've heard for years that trapshooters are a stuffy crowd and don't go out of their way to talk to the new bees. Some of that is true because they don't want to interfere with you. It may be up to you to make first contact. After you ask around, usually they open up and are very helpful. Welcome to one of the only lifetime sports there is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.