1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, Proof Positive, Two Eyes Working...Pic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you guys have not subscribed to this magazine as yet, best do before they run out. Honestly, these folks are providing a near "Coffee-Table" quality production, and whoever does the production L/O knows yearbook style and likely came strate form a yearbook house to lay out this mag. Talk about high quality pics, paper, and content... This magazine has it all...

But the cover tells a story of a shooter that from the looks of how he sets up on a gun, he likely uses his left eye to track a hard left. How else could he see thru that nose and thru the glass nose piece as the target streaks left?

Some of you recognize this guy... He is one of our pre-eminent shooters and has been for a long time. And this pic illustrates that the cpu in a shooter's mind has a tendency to switch back and forth from gun eye dominance, to cross dominant and back again as the gun gets on the target. Leo Harrison, good guy that many of us know and love. "Big Leo" to all of us.

[​IMG]

2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

He shoots one some times but his DT10 is his everyday shooter.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wonder how many (%) of shooters shoot with two eyes. I do, and always have.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I heard the 93 that Leo shot in singles in the south was with the UGGIE? Maybe he wanted to give the other guys a chance? :) Hap

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Leo could probably out shoot most people with their own guns ... The man has a lot of talent not to mention practice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Notice that he is set up on the stock without a super high comb and a lot of offset on the comb. He isn't looking straight ahead, he is shooting the shotgun like you should. So many people think you need your comb raised 4-5 inches and have it moved over and inch or two so they can look straight ahead for the target. Yes, Leo looks at the target like most great shooters do.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You bring up a subject that I have been studying a lot lately MIA. Shooting glasses. It is my belief that the shooting glasses industry is failing we shooters, using hundred year old technology that has simply been made to look racy. Some of the newer one piece lense systems are a big step forward but what about shooters who need RX? You can take the finest one piece lense system out there, absolutely nothing blocking your view, and then they put these chicken spit tiny RX inserts in them, centered over one's nose, so that when you get your face down on the comb there is no way in he** you are going to be looking anywhere near through the center of the RX. I know. I just threw away 300$ on a set that was worthless.

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Leo has no comb height.........thats almost funny......Leo has no neck either............I would not try to be a gun fitter if I were you!

GS

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Head turned to the right, right eyeball all the way to the left, head tilted to the right and eyes not level. Is this the perfect head position we should all strive for? HMB

10. JACK

Wire guy and HMB. You know, it was just fortuitous that I received my start-up copy of Trapshooting USA. And it seems like such a natural tie in to the subject that Gun fitter and Kiner were jawing about. This is obviously a Beretta advertising photo and perhaps they let the advertising guys make the gun and gun fit decisons (or lack thereof). But there is no doubt in my mind that some of thes new fangled glasses are junk because of the bicycle style brought into target glasses. Fools they are. I need a minor correction most of the time but occasionally, no correction is better than the lite correction. I think that a product of tiredness or whatever. And for those times I carry a pair of these modern day junks. I would easily see better without any glasses at all, but tht is not allowed where I shoot.

Too, I guess that if I were trying to continue the argument I would say that both guys deal in what they think they know and as you can see by the picture above, there ain't nothing in black and white, rather colors of the spectrum as that applies to many if not all shooters. What?

I am full of crap this morning. Taking a Kiner Clinic at Minneapolis Gun Club this weekend and have been boning up on Kiner's techniques via his DVDs. Just in case there is a test before we get started. And since I am on the subject, let me say this about that...

Clinic DVD guys miss the boat. Why it has not dawned on them that action photos of them doing demonstrations is far more capable a teacher of proper technique than chalk board on a TV befuddles me. If you watch Kiner make moves you learn a lot. They should shoot more an let us observe. Talk is for women's groups. Shooters are an action lot. That would be tons of fun to watch the big boys in action along with little factoids as they go along turning clays to dust. I've never heard Ricky talk, but our best an brightest clinicians are "down-home" talkers. I think they wanted to be actors but were out shooting when they shoulda been schmoozin the hollywood types. Perhaps Young Hopkins can take a lesson from that. Wow! can she shoot or what? I have watched her in person and she is exceptional.

Ok. I gotta go. See ya and maybe I can get in a word or two afer this weekend.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

After you take that clinic, you'll have a greater appreciation for Phil's "talk."

Ed

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Jack, you pay attention now at the class.

Especially if Mr Kiner starts out a sentence with "Bob Munson says....."

:)

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yeah - and watch out for the fourth target you shoot at with the camera over your shoulder.

Ed

14. JACK

Ed. You bet. In reality, I have that now. But I am a huge proponent of the idea that we take ourselves too seriously and forget to do some serious deprecatin type jivin of ourselves. Of all the folks I ahve talked to, Kiner has tried to help this helpless shooter numerous times. And I trully look forward to havin him set me strate.

Rick... Yes. Of all the squads I observe I enjoy the Munson squad the most. Especially the family threesome. The big guy and little guy can shoot too, but I love the way the mrs handls a gun form 27.

And sience we are in a jocular mood this AM... My quest this summer is to do exactly what I advocate Kiner (et all) do. That is provide action shots to illuminate a point. One of my fetishes is gun handling and I intend to get the best in my area on dig this season and post that on the forum. The best gun handler I have ever seen is Scot Gens and if I get a decent try at capturing his moves, everyone will learn a lot. Too, my bud Jerry Demulling is another that many of you can learn from. I shoot with da bod a dems. And I'll get others too. I like another gun handler too that I shoot with, Tim Mackey a MN all stater. But I intend on putting together a "action montage" of guys that can damn strate "bring it".

15. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Probably why he is an All American and you aren't. Go figure!!

16. JACK

To one of my best TS friends named Chris from Washington state... with 6 yards in 3400 hcp targets in the first 2 years of my shooting life, and having won enough (hcp) money to pay for a great deal of my shooting expenses, I say to you that I did have thoughts that I could be a good shooter. But then I swithced to release trigger and have only had a score or two ever since.

Jack Swanson, WI, 87-01936

But If I cna get a copy of Phil's video of me form this weekend, I['ll post it fo rall to see. If not, I[ll put it up with Gens,a nd Demulling.

Your bud, Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.