1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, My very last Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tsosin, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

For a time in 1969 I shot some trap with a group of friends who will always have a place in my heart. My trap gun was a 12 ga. Model 12 and I hunted with a 20ga. I never had an oppotunity to shoot at Vandalia, but current trap friends tell me about being there as children and wondering how anyone could pick their guns out of the hundreds of Model 12's lined up in every gun rack along the line along with the 870's and other assorted shotguns. I loved that first Model 12, and to this day do not have a decent reason for it's sale.

Four years ago, after being away from shooting for over 40 years, I picked up a trap gun at the opening of a new shooting facility at Indiana's Camp Atterbury and instantly started my search for a Model 12. The first two weren't worth spending the money to make them fit. The third was a never fired 1955 pigeon grade safe queen with #5 factory engraving. To fit that gun would have destroyed it's value, so I sold it for a profit and moved on. Model 12 number 4 was a 1916 gun in perfect condition that also would have required extensive fitting. Only after it's sale did I come to the conclusion that I should have sold the wood and gone to see Dennis Devault for the perfect gun. Which brings me to my very last Model 12.

I went to this years' Indiana State Shoot with the intent to by the best model 12 iron I could find and call Dennis. What I found was a 1955 gun with custom wood apparently made for my twin, and the apparent end of my search. I've cleaned, oiled, and stored my MX2005 and K80 combo's for the forseeable future and look forward to several months of nostalgically pure fun.

If your first thought is to wonder why a fairly decent shooter would be so happy about obtaining old technology, please don't bother to tell me. I'm having a ball ,feeling the recoil(not all that much with a good fit),smelling the gun powder, and shooting for fun.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're wasting your time. They'll never understand!!

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I understand and admire your great values.

Good shooting to you, and keep having fun while breaking them up.

Kenny U.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I understand, although mine is a M31. When you find the right one don't let it get away. That goes for wives too, 51 years & counting. Ross

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

It is all American the pump was an American designed gun for market shooters in the days of yore and worked so well it became the gun of choice. The sound of a pump shuckin is like no other I keep a 20 inch barrel model 12 defense gun under the bed just the sound of it chambering a round will cause people to dive out windows. Everyone should own a pump gun inexpensive a great fun to shoot.

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Right with ya old one eye.

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

good for you! I hope you get to enjoy all the benfits that the M12 has to offer.

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

Ted,

I hope to join one day soon with my model 12.

Steve

9. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

Did this gun happen to have an English walnut stock and forearm?

10. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Good Luck! I said that about 18 M12's ago and still have them all plus a few more. I never met a M12 I didn't like.

Jere

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That's what Model 12 owners have, that is distinction of fine gun ownership.

Good luck with your find.

Dr.longshot

12. johnpe

johnpe Member

I grew up shooting a M12 Standard Trap which was the first shotgun I shot. Later that day I shot my first 100 targets with another M12 Trap. At the time (1947)I was 9 years old. About 1972 I picked up a like new Pigeon Grade Trap and have enjoyed shooting it since. However, I also enjoy shooting my other shotguns at whatever targets I can find. About 20 or so years ago, a good friend and excellent trapshooter told me I needed to put all the other guns in a safe with a 20 year time lock and only shoot the M12. He was probably right, and I still bring out a M12 or two most weekends but I still play around with all of the others as well. The M12 Handles better than most of the others and is a real pleasure to use to smoke targets of whatever description.

Johnpe

13. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

I bring out a '37 matted rib every couple of months....great fun owned for 40yrs.................

14. Byrrrdmann

Byrrrdmann Member

I have a 1961 mfg with a Paul Graff stock and a clyde slyde recoil reducer. It's good to be king!

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I remember the guys putting stickers of some kind on the forearm of their guns so they didn't grab the wrong Model 12 off the rack!

Sold my Model 12 to a friend about a year and a half ago and sincerely regret it! There is jus something about those old corn shuckers!

Shoot your gun with pride and enjoy every minute of it! You probably can't beat Harlan and Leo anyway, (if you are anything like me!!,) so you might as well have fun! And what could be more fun than whipping some young flatbelly using a $15,000 K-gun with your Model 12????? Jack

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I totally get it and understand!!! Thanks for reminding me!!! So I can pull mine out, dust it off, and dust some clays!!! LOL. break em all Jeff

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I shouldered Ted's model 12 at the Indiana State Shoot, all I could say was "sweet"

18. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

I shoot a Model 12 high rib with adjustable stock. I have it setup for handicap and it will flatout smoke targets. It has 40 thousands choke with a recoil reducer added in stock. I can shoot heavy hadicap shells all day without much recoil. I also have several others that I collect including a pigeon grade. I always enjoy seeing older gentlemen shooting their Model 12's.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I too totally get it..thats why I shoot a few different guns..not shooting one particular one more than a couple weeks in a row...if its not fun to us then why do it...and nostalgia is a bigger part to some of us than others...enjoy my friend!!

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I remember speaking with Jerry Racke at KY State Shoot when he had just run 200 with the new Silver Seitz. He said the Seitz was a great gun but the trigger was so fast that you could not correct anything if "you are a little behind". He went on to say " that with my Model 12 if I was little off , I could correct it". If memory serves me, that was Jerry's 47th 200 straight ( he was only 47 ahead of me as that shoot). A good guy gone too early.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.