1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

finally made the move from Microsoft and PC's...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Slugo, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slugo

Slugo Member

finally made the move from Microsoft and PC

after many many years of professional and home use. I bought an iPad last fall and now added a new 11" MacBook Air. It's equipped with new high-speed dual Intel processors and an SSD. Fast as greased lightning and no waiting. After having to use MS W7, I had enough. The company Bill Gates built is no more. Steve Jobs knows how to get it done...

DSC_0002.JPG

2. Raybren

Raybren Member

I switched to Mac 6 years ago and no problems. Used to buy a new PC every 5 or 6 years due to problems. Ray

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wow, 11 whole inches. That's great!

Hauxfan!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I thought the mac was over twice as expensive as the MS system??

5. Slugo

Slugo Member

If switching to Mac was 4X the price of Microcrap, I would still convert. Steve Balmer is a lost ball in tall weeds...

6. oz

oz Active Member

can you buy a mac and use your pc periferals? ie: screen, keyboard, printer, mouse? oz

7. Slugo

Slugo Member

absolutely...

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

I have been with Mac since day one. Trevor Dawe.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

He said - she said

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have 2 Toshiba laptops.( Windows 7 ) Only because they were inexpensive. I also own an Apple desktop. ( 10.4 ) There is absolutely no comparison. The Windows PC's are "Yugos" and the Apple is a "Lexus". Never again will I purchase any computer without an Apple logo on it.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Consider what esoxhunter says.

The Mac he has is running an OS that is three iterations old. That's like running Millenium on a PC compared to 7.

Food for thought

12. skip

skip Member

No CD ROM or CD Burner

More $$$$$

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Mac is the only way to go. The latest Lion software is great. The comment about no CDrom is not a problem. $70 adder. Why carry something around that is rarely used. Macintosh is optimizing for the Internet. The cloud is the future CD's are in the past just like floppy drives.

Tom

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The fact that everybody who buys a MAC feels the need to brag about it is enought to keep me away from them. Also, the fact that they are grossly overpriced because of the Apple monopoly is a negative. There is a reason that MAC has a blazing 5% market share and the PC has 91% and it's not because MAC owners have higher IQs. Heck, Linux has nearly the market share of the MAC and neither are much of a factor in the market.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that there are few viruses for the MAC, a favorite brag of MACnuts. Why bother since it only has a 5% market share.

15. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Remember back when Apple dropped floppy disks from their computers? Almost everyone said that was a big mistake. Now you have to look really hard to even find a floppy drive or disc,

Apple dropped ZIP disks. Everyone said it was a mistake. How many ZIP disks have you seen lately.

Apple pioneered the graphic user interface. Almost everyone said it was a mistake. Well, here I have to admit that you do see an awful lot of GUI devices. Of course Windows picked up on the idea. Only problem is that they always seemed to be about a generation or two behind Apple.

Apple now includes a SD card reader integral on a lot of their systems. I don't see a lot of Windows based hardware doing that, at least not in the same generation as Apple.

Now that Apple is going to software installation for new apps based almost totally on the web, the price of many apps has taken a nosedive. I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to do the same thing.

Apple came out with the various small music players (iPods). MS followed a bit later with ZUNE. Anyone want to guess what the ratio between iPod and ZUNE might be?

Apple came out with the first WIDELY ADOPTED smart phone. I think there are a bunch of them that followed Apple's lead.

Apple has fought against Flash technology because of security problems and other issues. Everyone thought Apple made a mistake. Apple promoted HTML5 instead of Flash. How many Flash updates have you had in recent months? Why do you think that others are now pushing HTML5 for videos?

The Apple iPad and iPad 2 were not the first notepad type computers. Now, based on user adoption rte, can you tell me who is number 2 and 3 most common?

When a company can come out with so many winners in the public's purchasing voting of most popular, do you think they may be onto something?

Yes, Apple has some clunkers that never made it with the public. Apple generally saw the choices people were making and those unpopular product lines disappeared quickly. Apple didn't bother trying to make them hang on at least long enough to cover the R&D involved in coming up with the losers. They just took their lumps and moved on to other popular products and did it quickly.

Apple systems, generally have provided 8 to 10 years of service with minimal hardware problems. Old Apples tend to be replaced, with new Apples, because the software has progressed beyond the capabilities of these 8 year old systems. Windows system seem to last four to five years and by then the software has passed them by, the number of security downloads has so cluttered the HD and the various other little things Windows based programs leave on a computer have so slowed it down, people just say the heck with it and buy a new one.

Incidentally, back when we were buying computers for daughters going away to college, the last three all picked Apples. Seven years later and the first of these Apples is still in everyday use and no replacement is even in the planning. The other two five year old systems are still in everyday use also. Again, no plan on retiring them either.

Apple has just recently released, in their newest computers, Thunderbolt. This is a new method of connecting external devices with two way communication for data, audio and video a speeds two to three times faster than the latest USB3 devices. Oh, don't bother looking for it on Windows systems yet. There are none available.

This message is written on an Apple. When I am done writing, I will be installing a Windows only program on this same Apple and using it to do the one thing I still need the Widows side for. It is an old windows program that I use once a month for five minutes or so and it is not worth my time to learn a new program in the Apple world for such limited uses. I will actually be running both Apple and Windows operating systems at the same time. Funny, but Windows based systems can not do that.

Now anyone want to tell me why I should have bought a Windows system?

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

How about half the price for the same functionality. Hey, that was quite the sermon, bet it took half the time on the majic mac- lol.

If the mac is so great whis is it that it's stuck with a 5% market share?

BTW I had one of theose Iphones and it was the sorriest phone I ever had. Went to Samsung Android and won't be going back. Apple is such a crap company that it won't even allow you to change the battery in your Iphone yourself. Can't add memory either like you can with every other phone on the market. The Iphone 4 even has a special SIM card now which only works in that junker. Apple sucks.

17. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

John Galt,

You don't seem to be living up to your namesake's ideals. I seem to recall that he felt that excessive regulation, and market interference was a major obstacle to free enterprise yet you seem to have objections to people choosing the product they want.

Incidentally your estimate of the market share is sort of off. The Apple share, just in computers is currently running around 15 % in the U.S. In the premium computers market, that is for the more demanding users like video production, higher level photo editing, computer graphic design and similar, Apple has a virtual lock on the market.

If you go onto college campuses, you see a very large percentage of students are using Mac laptops, Where I work the ration is probably around three to one in the laptops and a whole bunch higher in the notebook computers. Even the more numerous HPs and Dell, sold on price alone in the general market, do not show up all that often in college.

If we are to adopt your style of buying computers to trap guns, everyone should be buying Mossbergs since they shoot, they can break targets and they are low priced. No one should buy Perazzis, Krieghoff or similar style shotguns since why would you want to pay more for a shotgun when all you have to do is break clay pigeons. Yet, when I go to shoots I don't see many Mossbergs. Do you think this is because someone may want something more than a Mossberg has to offer? Are computers any different?

Premium computers Market

US Market share

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Mr. Galt,

Last data set I saw showed Macs with 21% of the total PC market.

Relative to cost try this challenge. Buy a Mac laptop and a PC laptop. Now 'tweak' the PC to give the same functionality, programs, and security that come on the Mac right out of the box.

When done revisit the cost for each machine - you might be surprised.

Don't forget customer support - Apple has been voted number one in the field for so many years I can't recall when someone else took the spot. This is not by a percentage point or two, this is so over the top any other computer manufacturer should be ashamed with the service they provide.

I run both systems, in fact I run an IT company. I deal with about 75% Macs/25% PC's - 95% of the problems I get called for are with the PC's - again, do the math.

Here's one I can't explain. Macs can run windows using programs like 'bootcamp' or 'parallels' - they are emulation programs that boot to the windows OS. Take similar machines - one PC running it's native OS, one Mac running the emulation program. Guess which one runs faster and is more stable??

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ubuntu Linux.

Free.

20. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

i bet you my pc could beat any of your macs, my pc runs like a champ, but also macs arent bad computers just not my taste. macs are like school and college computers, lightweight and long battery times now pcs are just built all around to anything you want

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.