1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally found my love - Win SX1

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonygrz, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Last October, I found an SX1 at a flea market. It had a 30" barrel with two beads and the stock seemed rather flat - drops at comb and butt were nearly identical to their trap model. Since I bought it for only $245, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I took it to my local gunsmith for a overhaul and I mentioned to him that I thought this was a trap model - it wasn't, just a field model. I told him to get it working right and add a new buffer. He turned the tube inside upside down and worked his magic. In the mean time, I found a Monte Carlo stock for the shotgun. Put on a new pad. Total cost was under $200. So for less than $500, I had a working shotgun. Now for the test.

I ran a few rounds of 16yd trap and was very pleasantly surprised. My scores went up 3 birds/rd. I love it. The recoil is a lot less than my O/U and my shoulder doesn't hurt as much. Haven't hit a 25 yet but have gotten close (24).

This is relief for me. I've checked, shot and bought a number of guns looking for the right shotgun. And this flea market find that cost a lot less than an 870TA is my girl.

Just wanted to share.

Tony Garza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.