1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, back in the field.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

This week-end was the first time since December 26 that we have been able to stock birds at the club. The club is located in central New Jersey and has been buried under a couple of feet of ice and snow for nearly 2 months.

The ground wa finally free of snow and ice so we scheduled a bird release on Saturday but a horrific windstorm hit. Winds were in the 25 - 35 MPH range with gusts over 60. Bird scent was blown all over and the dogs had a really hard time. Today, Sunday, conditions were a lot better.

After not hunting for so long, the dogs tired more quickly than usual. The members did too. We started at 9:00 AM and most hunters were gone before 11:00. I had three dogs to run which I ran separately, taking a lot more time. By 1:00 PM I called it quits too. I was beat! More bad weather forecast for Monday has caused us to call off the Presidents Day hunt.

We are awash with birds from 2 months of canceled stockings and will have to double up releases to get rid of them before the season ends or it gets too warm.

A very disappointing season on the heels of last year's disappoining season, both weather related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.