1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FINALLY: A Bunker in Tennessee!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

FINALLY, we have a real Bunker in Tennessee. Thanks to Senator Doug Jackson for getting the funding. BTW, he is a Southern Democrat.Southern Democrats shoot release triggers! LOL He is an all around great fellow and leader.

I went up to shoot today, but a minor electrical component gave up the ghost. I did not get to shoot that game, but did shoot a 98 at Wobble Trap.

I know I am letting the cat out of the bag, but the Montgomery County Shooting Complex is a great place in the works.

From 3 yard pistol to 400 yard rifle to Trap, Skeet, BUNKER, and such, this place has the added attraction of great folks running it.

For those in the Middle Tennessee area, take a gun, and bullets, and go have some fun.

2. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

Going to relocate to Mt Pleasant for the summer.. Where is Montgomery County.
    Don Kerce

3. Shooting Coach

It is the Clarksville area. Near Fort Campbell, home of the 101st Airborne.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

That looks great. Do you think you could post some pics of the inards of the trap house. So Im understanding that bunker is 16y only? Also is bunker set up in such a way that you could shoot "Trap"?

5. webley

webley TS Member

Maclellan1911,
    Olympic Trap is shot from 15 meters (16.4 yards approx).

If by “trap” you mean the ATA 16 yard singles variety – then it would not be possible to shoot it from the normal Olympic Trap arrangement of 15 traps.

You can shoot Olympic Double Trap on this layout though after adjusting the angles & speeds of the particular traps used.

If you do a search of the postings by Allen Chubb you'll find some photos of other similar layouts.

6. Shooting Coach

The front of another bunker. Quite a set up.

I love shooting ATA with my friends, but Bunker IS the "King of Clay Target Sports".

7. traptraptrap

traptraptrap TS Member

Great to have a new facility.
    Last photo does not look a like same first bunker photo.

8. traptraptrap

traptraptrap TS Member

It is so sad Atlanta facility was closed.

9. Shooting Coach

Dear TripleTrap

The last picture is indeed from another bunker. We were trying to get the beast running, but a GFI unit failed and we could not get it powered up on a Friday afternoon.

The Bunker in Tn has Promatic traps. The staff who installed the traps from Promatic left without setting or adjusting the machines. I hope this is not their standard way of doing business in the future.

10. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Shooting Coach, Just a quick question...In the last photo you posted, it looks like the bunker fields overlap skeet fields, but with the permanent shelters for the trench shooters, skeet would be impossible...what am I missing? P.S. I shot over an 'auto-trench'(standard bunker layout, but all targets shot from 1 post as the single computerised trap changes after each target) the other day, great for practice, but it just seemed to lack something. Cheers-Graham.

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

The last picture that was posted...where is that located ???

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

NICE PLACE! I ment "trap" as ata also. OK another question 3 trap machines per post a left right and center. Question do these machines also change there angles or elevation, or do they just throw left right and center. I know the targets are faster but how much faster. I now see why there are not a lot of these built. &&&&. I hope your Senator Jackson keeps up the funding to maintain such a set up. Thats just great that you even have any support from your senate. Try getting that here in Massachusetts. Thanks for the pics.

13. webley

webley TS Member

Maclellan1911,

Each trap is fixed to a certain setting for the duration of a 25 shot round. The individual trap settings comply with one or other of nine ISSF defined tables. If you shoot four rounds (100 shots) for example in a competition each 25 shot round will use the settings from a different table.

The traps are mounted on relatively simple bases – the bases allow manual adjustment for angle & elevation.

At any one stand you’ll have two targets from the left trap - ditto the right trap (launching the more extreme angled targets) with a single target launched from the centre trap (a lesser angled target). Some traps are set to throw relatively high targets whilst others throw the low ‘grass-cutters’ (or anything in between).

The target sequence is random & the competitors have no idea what order they’ll get the targets in.

The targets have to fly for 76 meters (+/- 1m) - which is about 83 yards.

14. Shooting Coach

Although a Democrat, Senator Doug Jackson has the support of many Conservatives in Tennessee, has truly crossd the isle for his constituents and is a driving force for sportsmen's rights and second amendment issues. (thumbs up)

There is a world of difference between a Southern Democrat and a Washington Democrat (thank Heavens)

A Southern Democrat will ask you to go bird hunting with him, and HE will bring HIS dogs!

If he were to run for Governor, I would vote for him, despite my party affiliations.

15. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Is the last picture also the Tennessee Complex ??

16. Shooting Coach

Unfortunately not

I got this pic off the net. It may be an Italian Country Club,,,errr I mean Bunker.

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sport Shot... you are correct. The real problem was that the Black Council member, I recall his name was Edwards did not like paying for our sport. The real problem was not with the Shotgun shooters but with the rifle shooters who wear these thick coats. They ran up the A/C to the point that the county got a $10k power bill one month. The head of Parks and Rec in Fulton County went nuts and complained and the rest is history. If O'bama gets elected it will get worse.

The voice call system is entirely different from the Typical CVR used at ATA. First they do not have the built in delay that the CVR's have and the computer system opens and closes each mic as the individual shooter has his or her turn. They are not open all the time. The system works by tell the computer the number of shooters (up to 6) and pushing the start button. The computer keeps track of each individual shooter and will at random give each shooter 2 rights and 2 lefts and one center trap bird off of each bank. You can read the system if you want to trouble your mind with the date. For example you can say "I seen the center Trap and both lefts so i am due a right" or you get a broken bird and they back up the system and you get a reshoot of the same machine. The danger of this is that you could be wrong. An Italian shooter was wrong in the 92 games and went from a Gold to a Bronze medal.

You get 2 shots at each bird except in the final which is one shot only. There have been only been 5 perfect 25's shot is a finals in this country.

Tom

18. TrapTech

TrapTech TS Member

If the install is done correctly the Skeet overlays the Trench (Bunker) in such a way that stand 4 skeet is exactly the same as stand 3 trench.

Also if installed with the correct acoustic release you can run Skeet or Bunker (Olympic, Universal or Wobble) or Compak Sporting.

The system will know which machines and microphones to activate dependant on which token chip card you feed it, though you are limited with the bunker to whichever version the ground staff have allocated to the layout for the day.

All good fun, but one hell of a wiring installation!!

p.s. when we install equipment we tend to stick around until everything has been given a run through to iron out any bugs.

Andy Herrett
    Laporte Trap Technician (UK)

19. traptraptrap

traptraptrap TS Member

K1W1, I have seen many bunker ranges have coverd stations in US and other countries and all bunker ranges should have covered stations. The station are fixed anyway.

If you can afford to play golf you can afford to shoot caly target.

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

traptraptrap...

I agree that bunkers should be covered but most of the fields are combination skeet/bunker that makes it almost impossible.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the bunker tn