1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

final coat for tru oil finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangover, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangover

hangover Member

I have read that some car polish products make a good final finish for a tru oil coated stock. I have 10 coats of tru oil on the stock. Can anyone suggest a good car polish or wax for the last coat to bring out the shine and make the finish like glass?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You may have to put more coats on than that. I have 20 on my stock I am doing right now. I used 1000 grit wet sandpaper on the finish to eliminate dust, and uneven finish. Ended up sanding through to wood on the edges with 10 coats. Once you get the final coat on the gun use Blue Magic headlight polish, after a light sanding. Then I put car polish on and buff to a mirror shine. Update: I also sprayed the Tru-oil on. Jon

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

For the final polish, use automotive polishing compound.
    Not rubbing compound which is to aggressive.Apply it with
    a damp cloth. Works good!

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

10 coats is just getting started. If you are rubbing it on by hand you may have to put on closer to 100 coats to get a really deep, smooth glass finish. depends on now much you sand off as you go along. Once it is smooth no wax needed.

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I used the spray on and it certainly piles up way faster than hand rubbing. I do the 1000 then 1500 grit sanding in between coats. On final the car polish or a good gun stock wax (Birchwood has one with Beeswax in it) works really well. I did 10 coats but was extremely careful on the edges when sanding and moved to the 1500 for the last three saandings, also waited 24 hours in between messing with it. The spray on needs to be used in an very warm environment.

Courtney

6. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Use a carnuba type wax or a gun stock wax.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Hint: tolet seal rings are pure beeswax. Of course use a new one!!

Thats what I've used for the last 30 years, works great. You'll need a heat sourse for the wood to absorb it.

I do my refinishing in the winter when I have a fireplace going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
buffing tru oil on a gunstock
hand buffing tru-oil
how to make tru oil shine
polish for tru oil
polishing a tru oil finish

polishing tru oil finish

rubbing compound on tru-oil

tru oil sanding between coats