1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Filling a Jack West stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Am contemplating getting a Jack West stock for an 1187. I require a lot of offset, which will mean moving the comb as far as it will go to the side, and maybe a little bit more w/ modification. At any rate, I imagine I'll need to relieve the side of the stock to keep my jaw from hitting it as far over as I'll have the comb. However, since the stock is hollow, this presents a problem. I'm thinking if I get some sort of castable epoxy or acrylic, and pour it into the stock as a liquid, when it cures, it'll give it the effect of being a solid stock, and will give me something to grind into (instead of a hollow cavity) when I relieve the stock. Any thoughts on what type of mat'l would work best for this?

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

If you've never worked with castable materials, be careful. Some of that stuff gets REALLY hot when it's curing, especially in a solid block.

And what are you going to do when it's time to remove the stock, someday? Will really make it difficult.

Good luck.

cap

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bondo. HMB

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Get an Acra-Glass kit and mix the epoxy with the fiberglass and black dye. It will work fine.

5. mirage1

mirage1 Member

You might consider getting a Beretta. With the shim system you can kick
    it over quite a bite for cast and then adjust the comb.
    Good Luck.
    Joe

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shim the stock. 1100's can be moved a fair amount this way. A piece of hard leather cut to fit and sanded down on one side won't cost much and you might just save the JW form disfigurement.

HM

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I suggest make this project small and easy. As Joe just mentioned, use a shim, and it will work on the 1l87 just fine. You can make a shim from a piece of a cardboard shell box, or velcro, or wood or metal. Trace the metal plate where the stock mounts meets the receiver.

If you are a right hand shooter, use the left side of the traced metal plate, and if left handed use the right side of the metal plate. Depending on how much cardboard or Velcro or metal is used, you can change cast left or right from a small amount to a large amount, and you won't ruin the stock or the gun.

I have done this method for 41 years and it works great. This is the good point of having a shotgun that the stock mounts this way to the receiver. The only break open gun that you can do the same thing to is the Remington 90T.

Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Shims only give you cast, and I want offset. With cast, the amt of movement to the side is not consistent from the front to the back.

9. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Ian, please check you PM's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jack west stock material