1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Figured out where our missing Koi went.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Went to the back door... and spooked a Great Blue Heron out of our Koi pond.<br>
    <br>
    I made the pond over four feet deep. Three and a half was recommended to stop racoon, cat and bird deprivations.<br>
    <br>
    My guess is the heron simply had a lot of patience, and waited for them to come close enough to the surface.<br>
    <br>
    Our pond isn't all that large, and the backyard itself is fairly small. But that didn't stop the heron from dropping in for lunch.<br>
    <br>
    I wonder how many other times he's come by for lunch?

2. front242

front242 Member

Raccoons cleaned out our friend's pond in two nights. Luckily his 12 koi were the cheaper wal-mart variety and not the high dollar ones. I don't think he read about the depth requirements. Seems like you'd have to go over 4' just to get the heron's rear wet. Those are largish birds. I learned recently that they eat mice and other small rodents as well as aquatic stuff.

Tim
    F242

3. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I've seen them stalk and kill and eat ground squirrels.

4. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

I have had a pond for several years and the only thing that I found that helped was to have very thin wires spaced about 18" apart covering the entire pond---that keeps then from spreading their wings to fly so they stay out of the water--and the nose of the pond in front is to shallow for the larger fish---Norbert

5. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

You will know exactly when a heron has been around. When you walk up to the pond the fish scatter instead of following you to get fed. I was missing a fish one time and seen the bird standing next to my pool. I figured it was him and my fish were spooked for weeks after. #8 took care of the problem real quick.

6. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

I heard to string fishing line around the ponds the birds supposedly hate the stuff.........Beezer I would think 7 1/2's would have been a better way to go

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

I have a suppressed pistol with a slide-lock...Joe Kuhn would be _appalled_ at what I've done with it...

8. front242

front242 Member

I'm impressed. Mr. Bigbore has a recipe for just about anything. Sounds like a good guy to know.

:)

Tim
    F242

9. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

My wife and I were sitting by our water garden last summer when a blue streak shot down out of a pine and hit the water. At first I thought a Blue Jay had committed suicide when in a moment out of National Geographic a Kingfisher came up and seemed frozen in time, in the sunshine, with the prettiest 8" candy apple red goldfish on the pond in his bill. He hit so fast it was like it didn't happen but the missing fish and water all over proved it happened. Damn birds anyway.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Surprise him with a new pet Piranha

11. chemist

chemist Member

live in jersey- wanna know where they stock trout- find the big tall gray birds stalking- they get more then I do - remember the commorant issue in the Great Lakes- almost killed the bass fishery- wonder how those big gray birds taste- feathers have to be good for fly tying

12. KK

KK TS Member

If any of you Blue Heron lovers decide to take matters into your own hands and make one disappear, please save the neck hackle and upper breast feathers for me. I'll pay the shipping and pay you something for the feathers too. The feathers are invaluable for tying Steelhead and Salmon spey flys. Maybe I could trade you some framed flys for display if you were interested. **** Brian in Oregon****, I am not too far from you if you decide you want revenge on your Koi eater in fact I think I might be close enough to pick the carcus up if you pop one. KK

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I love Great Blue Herons. I'd never off one.<br>
    <br>
    I mean, it's not like it's a mere Spotted Owl or a California Condor.

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

3 dram load of #6's close range will work.........window to pond........

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.