1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Figured out I'm a 2 eyed shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

Figured out I

Over the weekend I set up a Video Camera to see what I was doing when shooting. I set the camera up in front of me to see what I was doing with my head while a shot. I ran the video in slow motion/ almost frame by frame, and I discovered a very interesting thing. Despite what I have always thought I open both eyes when I shoot, or at least part of the time. I have always thought I shot with one eye closed because when I mount the gun and set the barrel on the trap I have my left eye shut. Turns out at the moment I call for the bird my left eye opens, as soon as the target it tracked (and the video shows my eyes moving in the direction of the target) and I begin to move the barrel in the direction of the bird I shut my left eye again just before bulling the trigger. It happens so fast that I have never perceived it before and really cant perceive it now that I "know" what I'm doing. Interestingly and it probably makes sense, my left eye opens more fully and longer on left hand birds from stations 1 and 2, while right hand birds from 4 and 5 is barely an open squint, almost like a reverse blink. I just find it very interesting how the body works.

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Hey Crickets,

Funny thing you found this out. My wife and I just got our new lenses in from Morgan Optical and me, instead of installing my "Magic Dots" on the left lens, decided to install the "L" shaped Sight Blinder that I bought from Chris Vendel years ago on my gun...I have tried for years to shoot with both eyes but found my eyes were just too close to equal to have a "Dominant" one.

Anyway off to the club we went Tuesday for a Big 50..That thing worked like a charm...Both eyes open all the way through the target. I hit 22 the first round, and pulverized 24 the second round of singles...Took just a little getting used to, and I can't wait to go out to a Registered shoot tomorrow and get some more use with the Sight Blinder...I have to admit, I was very apprehensive after 50 years of one eyed shooting, but I was very happy with my initial results using a Sight Blinder...

Good luck to you !!!

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.