1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

figure 8 sight help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mac66, Sep 8, 2013.

1. mac66

mac66 Member

I will explain this as simply as possible and hope it is understandable. I have recently purchased my first trap gun adj. comb , lop butt plate. Understand most of the adjustments , When sighting down the rib and trying to see a 8 I can see rib between the center bead and front sight should I be making a comb adjustment or is it a mounting problem , this whole figure 8 sight picture has tossed me a curve. Prior I shot a field gun only front sight.My main reason in this question is actual gun mount and what I should be seeing,

Thanks in advance
    Joe

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to see a figure 8 lower the comb. If you want to hit the target set the comb at the height that works. HMB

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Is your comb down all the way?

If it is, you can remove your middle bead and move it forward (You'll be left with a hole in the rib), or remove it completely. Or you can shoot it the way it is, as many shooters see a gap between their beads.

First however, you need to shoot it on a pattern board and see what your POI is and compare it to your old gun's POI. It may shoot quite a bit higher than your old gun. Try shooting it for a few weeks.

If it shoots too high, you can have a stock man make a new comb and posts to lower the comb. Often there is not enough wood clearance to sand it down and refinish the existing comb without getting into the comb hardware recess.

4. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

If you have your new Citori Plus you can lower the front end of the rib and the gun will shoot highter.Then try it on the pattern board 80/20 or more.
    Try ???
    Salutations
    Pierre

5. 548

548 Guest

My fix: Get an adjustable butt plate and lower your recoil pad. Then lower your comb until the two beads just "touch" each other visually.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Start by lowering your comb as far as it will go and raising the front of the rib to the higher level. Then lower the back of the rib as far as it will go. That will set your gun to shoot as flat as it is able to. My Citori Plus is set up that way, and it still shoots about 70/30. I thought about shaving off some comb, but any lower and I would be looking at the rearend of the receiver, rather than the rib. It is an adjustable gun, but apparently mine won't adjust all the way down to 50/50. I was thinking of trying to use it at 5 Stand. Above is the link to the Citori Plus owners manual. Mark

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

As long as your POI Is what you want forget the mid bead...nothing wrong with seeing a lot of rib...SMOKIT

8. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Seeing as you have an adjustable stock,lower the comb all the way down. Take it out to the patterning board and see were it shoots from there.If you dont start from square one you'll have a hard time with it.The preson you bought it from had it adjusted for there style of shooting,most likley not yours.

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Don't get caught up with this "I need to see a fig 8." Adjust the gun to where you feel comfortable mounting and shooting it.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

So right Bryan!! Some call that the "KISS" principle!!

HAP

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Plus gun you have has an adjustment screw at the rear of the rib. Note it's current position, then turn it counterclockwise and it will begin to take the view of the rib away. If you run out of adjustment, you'll have to lower the comb to get the view you want. I never liked the "figure 8", it seems too hard to maintain, especially when you're tracking a target. I just shoot off the front bead and try to concentrate on the target. Good luck and get to the patterning board soon.

Bob Falfa

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Seriously, the figure 8 "idea" is just one of the many gimmicks that will take the necessary concentration away to shoot at the target. The first thing is shoot the gun when you have it adjusted where it is comfortable for you. If you are having trouble with breaking targets or mounting it consistently then regroup and adjust. But don't get lost in the ways of tinkering. I was told it will take 1000 targets to properly "get in" to a gun. Maybe it will take less or it might take more.

Trying to do this all yourself can be frustrating or might get you lost. It is best to find a gun fitter or someone with an understanding at the basic ideas to gun fitting.

Bryan

13. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Who cares about stacking the beads? This is a silly myth. What's important is that you are consistently breaking birds with center hits. You look to the beads for alignment---nothing more. There could be a mile between them, but if you are smoking birds, why bother? Focus on the bird, not the barrel.

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

If you are convinced that you want to see a figure 8, lower your comb. I lost my figure 8 obsession a couple of years ago and actually started shooting better.

blade819

15. 32619

32619 Guest

If you want to hit targets, forget FIGURE 8. It is a myth. Seeing space between the mid bead and the front bead is ok. You want the pattern to be high.
    ED

16. mich746

mich746 Member

Mac66: you say you had no idea that your old gun shot 50/50. I don't mean to sound bombastic, but how can you participate in shotgun sports and not know where your gun shoots? That's chapter one, page one.

Would you go deer hunting without scoping in your rifle? The answer to your posted question is to find out where your gun is shooting THEN make the necessary adjustments.

Would highly recommend you read Neil Winston's paper on POI testing. It will explain everything you need to know about POI and pattern testing. If you do a search you will find it here on TS.com

Mich

17. JT 27

JT 27 Member

If you are looking at the sights, you are missing targets.

18. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Go to someone and get fitted. Alot of good comments here but they re are too many variables we dont know about you and how you shoot. Its like asking someone what putter to buy. In general the suggestions are accurate, but for your specific needs someone needs to be there and watch how you use it. My .02

The Fig 8 concept is an INITIAL concept on getting consistent gun mount. You have to start somewhere. One size does not fit all.

19. mich746

mich746 Member

To continue with my rant. You don't need to go to somebody, you need to learn how to do an accurate POI and pattern test yourself. It's not difficult if you follow the instruction. It's the only way to KNOW where your gun is shooting.
    This is something that you will need to do every time you change guns so why not learn how to do it.

Read Neil's paper and you will be a more knowledgeable trap shooter.

We're just talk'n trap here so all is good, Mich

20. mich746

mich746 Member

http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/nw_poi_pattern.html

Search tags for this page

benefits of figure 8 shotgun sight pattern

figure 8 sight patern trap
figure 8 sights
figure eight gun sights
figure eight sight
sighting down the rib of a trapgun
trap gun sights figure 8