1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fig 8 wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beni, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beni

Beni Member

any thoughts on the fig 8 wads out there,I inhereted a case but have not tested them yet. Joel

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I use them for caps, 16's, and the 2nd doubles load = 1,200 fps/Green Dot. I prefer the ones made by Downrange because they seem cleaner with that load, and work very nicely in an STS style hull. mike

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Been using them for umpteen years. Nothing better in my book for reloading STS cases or any Remington case.

Hauxfan!

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use 'em for all my Remington loads and even in some of my "AA" loads. Very versitile wad.-----Matt

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The FIG-8 and the TGT-12 are the same wad except that the TGT-12 is green and has a longer "8" cushion section while the FIG-8 is white and has a "compressed" cushion section, so its overall length is shorter. The shot cups on both are the same, so you can use them as needed depending upon the density of your powder for nice crimps in one-ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads.

Ed

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I also have used the TGT12 for many years in Rem. hulls & also find it to be better in AAs than the grey AA wad, have not tried the clones of TGT but have tried other clones with varying results so usually stay with Rem. TGTs.. I load mostly 7\8 oz & some 1 oz. Ross

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

That's all I reload my Remington shells with. Have been using them for quite a few years. I buy the factory wads and have not seen a clone yet. No issues to speak of. Hope to see a Claybuster version.

8. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Send the m to me I'll give you a detailed report on how they are. LOL Lou

9. mrjim22

mrjim22 Member

There is nothing better for caps, or 16's. Great wad with Green Dot in Rem Hulls.

jim

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use the Remington originals whenever there's money or reputation on the line. The clones from Claybusters and Downrange are pretty good as well, with my clone preference being the Downrange. I've used all of the originals and clones. The TGT12 is my choice for 1 oz. The Claybuster is the CB8118-12 for the Fig 8 and the CB8100-12 for the TGT12. The clones don't have the stitching that the Remingtons usually have, so they are a little easier to load manually. The stitching is for production machines to prevent the wads from nesting into one another. You can just "pop" it with your finger before placing the wad if it interferes with the loading process. If using a MEC, you can just separate one of the petals when you place it against the tube.

I've done some patterning with all of these and my conclusion is that they all work well, with a very slight edge going to the originals in the loads I tested.

They are intended for loading in tapered hulls such as the Remington STS type and the Winchester AA. They will work in many straight walled hulls, but I feel they are not the best choice in those applications.

11. Beni

Beni Member

Thanks for the input time to do some paper work Joel

12. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Might be going aginst conventional wisdom here,but I tried them once and the little fingers kept getting caught in the hole in the shot tube. Seemed to be kind of a pain in the butt. Think Duster: green, blue, and clear.

13. geeber

geeber Member

The authentic Remington Fig8 is great in the STS hull with 700X. I tried the claybusters clone last week and it seemed to take twice as much force to seat them. Something isn't right there. I loaded four shells and gave up. The remainder of those wads will go into the trash can. The Remingtons are more expensive but well worth it. I just ordered 5000 for $116.00 including shipping.
    Gary B.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gary. The claybuster wads are stiffer plastic and they tend to catch on the crimp thru the petals of the wad guide as the insertion begins. When it is cold in my garage, I will only use REM OEM fig 8s. I load STS exclusively unless I get a bag of new AAs and then I lod those once and pitch.

Jack

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

See, Shootlow, the world doesn't end when you agree with me. The sun will come up tomorrow and the birds will still sing...........and poop on your car......lol

Hauxfan!

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Steve, I belive you are thinking of a different wad - eight-petal Windjammers or their clones, perhaps? The shotcup petals on all four-petal wads like Remingtons, Dusters, etc., all are the same size (360 degrees divided by 4 will always be 90).

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fig 8 or wa12 for aa hulls forums
fig 8 or wa12 for aa hulls forums
fig 8 wad

will cb8118 work in winchester aa